brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  17 years experience, ASE certified, dealership certified, Service Manager for 15 years,

1996 Jeep Cherokee Sport: wont start/crank over..accessories

Customer Question

1996 Jeep Cherokee Sport won't start/crank over. Battery still good/accessories still turn on.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  brownjeff replied 5 years ago.
Have you tried to jump start it?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No not yet. I don't have access to the jeep right now (got left at my aunt's place) but planning to fix it this weekend. She said there's not even a clicking sound when she tries to turn the ign on. My friend checked it out and said it's not the batt. I replaced the starter almost 5 years ago.
Expert:  brownjeff replied 5 years ago.
How was the battery tested?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
He just went by the battery gauge indication. Additionally, there was no clicking sound when attempting to turn on the ignition. Should I try jump starting it first? The battery is fairly new (less than a year old).
Expert:  brownjeff replied 5 years ago.
Yes try jumping first as it takes more amperage to start it then to light a light. If that doesn't work then try switching the starter relay with another relay in the fuse box. If it still doesn't start then remove the starter relay and have someone hold the key in the crank position and tell me what terminals have voltage to them
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Ok thanks. I will try working on it either tomorrow or Sat. and wll get back with you.
Expert:  brownjeff replied 5 years ago.
Sounds good