brownjeff
brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  17 years experience, ASE certified, dealership certified, Service Manager for 15 years,
11021861

1995 jeep cherokee: slipping..2nd gear..nearly 300,000 miles..drove

i have a 1995 jeep cherokee - the auto transmission is slipping - gets stuck in 1st or 2nd gear, tacks to 3 for a bit, then drops into gear at some point but can cause an unexpected lurch - just had the serpentine belt changed which was bout ready to fly off-

but current problem still exists - any thoughts? it has nearly 300,000 miles - the mechanic said it seemed fine because the gear sticking of course didn't happen when he drove it - i am trying to decide if i should give up on is - don't want to put much more money into it but if there's a potential easy fix I would try it.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  brownjeff replied 4 years ago.

Does the check engine light come on while driving and if so any codes?

Is the transmission fluid full and clean?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no engine light and fluid full & clean

had rebuilt tran put in about 4 years ago

tried to raise payment to $23 on your answer - wouldn't let me edit
Expert:  brownjeff replied 4 years ago.

Have you tried a conditioner such as Lucas in the transmission fluid? Many times what you are describing is due to the seals inside the transmission getting hard and not holding pressure and the conditioner will soften the seals and help them hold the pressure. If this has not been done I suggest doing this.

As far as payment goes it wont let you change the amount but after accepting an answer you can give a tip/bonus if you want.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
my mechanic said the conditioner wouldn't help - a transmission guy i talked to said don't put anything in it...do you feel strongly that it could help? the two guys i talked to are not mechanics out to make money--they do good work economically--but replacing the transmission is not something i can afford right now

also the fluid is full and i said and mechanic just checked it again - it is very clean - he was surprised that it's that clean is trans is breaking down
Expert:  brownjeff replied 4 years ago.
I can tell you from experience it helps! It just depends on what the problem is and how worn out the transmission is. For example if it is a clutch problem or mechanical problem it would not help, but if the seals are the issue it will. I would try it before doing anything else!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
there are no leaks - could the seals still be an issue?

sorry for asking so many questions - this is a friend's jeep and she really does not have the money for a $1000 repair or to buy another car right now - so i am just hoping for something that can get her some time
Expert:  brownjeff replied 4 years ago.
Yes. I'm talking about the seals inside the transmission not the ones on the outside that cause a leak.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
which is better lucas or lubegard? and do you just pour it in the transmission reservoir?
Expert:  brownjeff replied 4 years ago.
Personally I think the Lucas is better and you put it in where you check the fluid.
brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 17 years experience, ASE certified, dealership certified, Service Manager for 15 years,