Jim Barlogio
Jim Barlogio, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  38 years - Domestic - Foreign - AAA Approved Repair Shop Owner

my jeep is smoking oil/water white thick smoke, Ive been

Customer Question

my jeep is smoking oil/water?? white thick smoke, Ive been told I may need a head job - or - valve job - or- rings? if I purchase the repair manual and I have a mechanically inclined helper can this job be done at home or will it be too difficult - too costly - or not worth the trouble? HELP
Submitted: 4 years ago via Advance Auto Parts.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Jim Barlogio replied 4 years ago.
Hi my name is XXXXX XXXXX sorry for your problem .. here is advise and answer

Sounds like a head gasket or a cracked head. First step is to have it confirmed. A block test will be needed. This is not an easy repair I suggest getting it done by a qualified shop or at least have them confirm the problem. The skill level on this would be an A with C being the easiest. So for someone who might have some skill may not have the required experience or tools. There are too many "things" that can be overlooked on this major type of repair. You also need to know the cause and why it failed.

Thanks for asking..
Jim
Jim Barlogio, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 38 years - Domestic - Foreign - AAA Approved Repair Shop Owner
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
so your saying pay a shop 200-400 to ?? check out whats wrong when I can take the head off and see for myself, then pay the shop 10 plus hours = over 1000 dollars then have them tell me I should drop another engine in the 2002 vehicle worth 7500 at the cost of 4500 to do so?? I dont think your helpng me yet Sir ...or am I not getting it?? clue me so I can pay for sound advice ok..
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
more in depth is what I the consumer is seeking not generalization and he didnt reply with additional feedback...
Expert:  kalamykid replied 4 years ago.
The first things I would need to know is are you loosing coolant from the radiator? Does it start smoking when you first start it up and quite or do you have to warm the engine up for it to start smoking?
Just to clarify: We charge $85 to test the head . You can buy the test kit for about $40.
You take a sample of the vapor from your cooling system with the engine running. If it turns yellow you have a head gasket or head problem. If it does not you could have an intake gasket leaking coolant into the combustion chambers causing your white smoke. The reason I suggested a shop was because you said you have a manual and a friend with some mechanical knowledge. You might be able to do it , but after doing this for 40 years I know the problems that can lie ahead for this type of repair. If the engine has gotten real hot and lost power then you might have collapsed the rings. In this case the engine will have to be rebuilt. I apologize for not being more specific. Here are some confirmed fixes for your vehicle from my data base. Jim B

graphic

Jim
No ,, in California. Good luck on your repair. Jim B

Edited by Jim Barlogio on 5/10/2010 at 2:47 PM EST
Thanks .. JB