vipertech
vipertech, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Jeep factory certified technican
3256298

i would like to find a step by step head gasket replacement

i would like to find a step by step head gasket replacement guide for a 2000 jeep grand cherokee laredo with a 4.7 v8
Category: Jeep
Expert:  vipertech replied 4 years ago.

Good afternoon, here are all the steps for the head gasket replacements:

CYLINDER HEADS

CYLINDER HEAD - LEFT

REMOVAL

1. Disconnect the negative cable from the battery.
  2. Raise the vehicle on a hoist.
  3. Disconnect the exhaust pipe at the left side exhaust manifold.
  4. Drain the engine coolant.
  5. Lower the vehicle.
  6. Remove the intake manifold.
  7. Remove the cylinder head cover.
  8. Remove the fan shroud and fan blade assembly.
  9. Remove accessory drive belt.
  10. Remove the power steering pump and set aside.
  11. Rotate the crankshaft until the damper timing mark is aligned with TDC indicator mark

1. Verify the V8 mark on the camshaft sprocket is at the 12 o'clock position Rotate the crankshaft one turn if necessary.

1 - LEFT CYLINDER HEAD
2 - RIGHT CYLINDER HEAD
-
-
  1. Remove the crankshaft damper.
  2. Remove the timing chain cover.
  3. Lock the secondary timing chains to the idler sprocket using Special Tool 8515
    1 - LOCK ARM
    2 - RIGHT CAMSHAFT CHAIN
    3 - SECONDARY CHAINS RETAINING PINS (4)
    4 - IDLER SPROCKET
    5 - LEFT CAMSHAFT CHAIN
    6 - SPECIAL TOOL 8515

4. NOTE: Mark the secondary timing chain prior to removal to aid in installation.

5. Mark the secondary timing chain, one link on each side of the V8 mark on the camshaft drive gear
  6. Remove the left side secondary chain tensioner.
  7. Remove the cylinder head access plug

1 - RIGHT CYLINDER HEAD ACCESS PLUG
2 - LEFT CYLINDER HEAD ACCESS PLUG
  1. Remove the left side secondary chain guide.
  2. Remove the retaining bolt and the camshaft drive gear

CAUTION: Do not allow the engine to rotate. Severe damage to the valve train can occur.

CAUTION: Do not overlook the four smaller bolts at the front of the cylinder head. Do not attempt to remove the cylinder head without removing these four bolts.

NOTE: The cylinder head is attached to the cylinder block with fourteen bolts.

3. Remove the cylinder head retaining bolts.
  4. Remove the cylinder head and gasket. Discard the gasket

CAUTION: Do not lay the cylinder head on its gasket sealing surface, due to the design of the cylinder head gasket any distortion to the cylinder head sealing surface may prevent the gasket from properly sealing resulting in leaks.

INSTALLATION

NOTE: The cylinder head bolts are tightened using a torque plus angle procedure. The bolts must be examined BEFORE reuse. If the threads are necked down the bolts should be replaced.

Necking can be checked by holding a straight edge against the threads. If all the threads do not contact the scale, the bolt should be replaced

CAUTION: When cleaning cylinder head and cylinder block surfaces, DO NOT use a metal scraper because the surfaces could be cut or ground. Use only a wooden or plastic scraper.

1. Clean the cylinder head and cylinder block mating surfaces
  2. Position the new cylinder head gasket on the locating dowels

CAUTION: When installing cylinder head, use care not damage the tensioner arm or the guide arm.

3. Position the cylinder head onto the cylinder block. Make sure the cylinder head seats fully over the locating dowels

NOTE: The four smaller cylinder head mounting bolts require sealant to be added to them before installing. Failure to do so may cause leaks.

4. Lubricate the cylinder head bolt threads with clean engine oil and install the ten M11 bolts.
  5. Coat the four M8 cylinder head bolts with Mopar® Lock and Seal Adhesive then install the bolts

NOTE: The cylinder head bolts are tightened using an angle torque procedure, however, the bolts are not a torque-to-yield design.

6. Tighten the bolts in sequence using the following steps and torque values:
    • Step 1: Tighten bolts 1 - 10, 20 N·m (15 ft. lbs.)
    • Step 2: Tighten bolts 1 - 10, 47 N·m (35 ft. lbs.) Tighten bolts 11 - 14, 25 N·m (18 ft. lbs.)
    • Step 3: Tighten bolts 1 - 10, 90 degrees. Tighten bolts 11 - 14, 30 N·m (22 ft. lbs.)

1. Position the secondary chain onto the camshaft drive gear, making sure one marked chain link is on either side of the V8 mark on the gear and position the gear onto the camshaft.
  2. Install the camshaft drive gear retaining bolt.
  3. Install the left side secondary chain guide.
  4. Install the cylinder head access plug.
  5. Re-set and Install the left side secondary chain tensioner.
  6. Remove Special Tool 8515.
  7. Install the timing chain cover.
  8. Install the crankshaft damper. Tighten damper bolt 175 N·m (130 Ft. Lbs.)
  9. Install the power steering pump.
  10. Install the fan blade assembly and fan shroud.
  11. Install the cylinder head cover.
  12. Install the intake manifold.
  13. Refill the cooling system
  14. Raise the vehicle.
  15. Install the exhaust pipe onto the left exhaust manifold.
  16. Lower the vehicle.
  17. Connect the negative cable to the battery.
  18. Start the engine and check for leaks.

CYLINDER HEAD - RIGHT

REMOVAL

1. Disconnect battery negative cable.
  2. Raise the vehicle on a hoist.
  3. Disconnect the exhaust pipe at the right side exhaust manifold.
  4. Drain the engine coolant.
  5. Lower the vehicle.
  6. Remove the intake manifold. Refer to procedure in this section.
  7. Remove the cylinder head cover. Refer to procedure in this section.
  8. Remove the fan shroud.
  9. Remove oil fill housing from cylinder head.
  10. Remove accessory drive belt.
  12. Verify the V8 mark on the camshaft sprocket is at the 12 o'clock position Rotate the crankshaft one turn if necessary.
  13. Remove the crankshaft damper. .
  14. Remove the timing chain cover.
  15. Lock the secondary timing chains to the idler sprocket using Special Tool 8515

NOTE: Mark the secondary timing chain prior to removal to aid in installation.

16. Mark the secondary timing chain, one link on each side of the V8 mark on the camshaft drive gear
  17. Remove the right side secondary chain tensioner.
  18. Remove the cylinder head access plug
  19. Remove the right side secondary chain guide.
  20. Remove the retaining bolt and the camshaft drive gear

CAUTION: Do not allow the engine to rotate. severe damage to the valve train can occur.

CAUTION: Do not hold or pry on the camshaft target wheel for any reason. A damaged target wheel can result in a vehicle no start condition.

21. Remove the cylinder head retaining bolts.
  22. Remove the cylinder head and gasket. Discard the gasket

CAUTION: Do not lay the cylinder head on its gasket sealing surface, do to the design of the cylinder head gasket any distortion to the cylinder head sealing surface may prevent the gasket from properly sealing resulting in leaks.

INSTALLATION

Necking can be checked by holding a straight edge against the threads. If all the threads o not contact the scale, the bolt should be replaced

4. Lubricate the cylinder head bolt threads with clean engine oil and install the ten M10 bolts.
  5. Coat the four M8 cylinder head bolts with Mopar Lock and Seal Adhesive then install the bolts

3. Install the right side secondary chain guide.
  5. Re-set and install the right side secondary chain tensioner.
  6. Remove Special Tool 8515.
  7. Install the timing chain cover.
  9. Install accessory drive belt.
  10. Install the fan shroud.
  11. Install the cylinder head cover.
  12. Install the intake manifold.
  13. Install oil fill housing onto cylinder head.
  14. Refill the cooling system.
  15. Raise the vehicle.
  16. Install the exhaust pipe onto the right exhaust manifold.
  17. Lower the vehicle.
  18. Reconnect battery negative cable.
  19. Start the engine and check for leaks.

If this answers your question then please press "ACCEPT "so that I may be paid for the time spent helping you. If you need more help then please let me know. Thanks

vipertech, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: Jeep factory certified technican