Matt Hardy
Matt Hardy, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Auto Tech, ASE L1, Jeep/Chrysler Dealer Tech, 18 yrs exp
24870662

I have a 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited. Rear hatch latch

Customer Question

I have a 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited. Rear hatch latch and lock acuator are not funtioning and hatch remains closed. HOW i remove the trim with the hatch shut to access the linkages?
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Matt Hardy replied 6 years ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer.

I have run into this problem quite a few times...I have always been able to get the liftgate open (eventually) by using the key to cycle the lock a few times.

Then try pressing the liftgate toward the vehicle (as if you are trying to close it more), then pull the latch all the way, then pull the liftgate open. Usually if you keep trying, it will open.

If you are successful, remove the trim panel and adjust the linkage to correct the problem.

If you are forced to remove the trim panel with the liftgate closed...you will probably have to break it to get it off.

Edited by Matt Hardy on 4/21/2010 at 3:13 AM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

That's common sense. The repetitive trys. Eventually opening. The key will not cycle the lock and eventually the acuator stopped working. Pushing, Pulling doesn't matter. Hundreds of tries over the past six months, many tries in a row. Hasn't helped, just trying to avoid the breaking and replacing part.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help. I wanted to share with you a technique that has worked for me. I am re-opening your question...hopefully another expert will have a better answer.