sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

2006 jeep commander: 4.7l..v8 wont start it..fuses

my 2006 jeep commander 4.7l v8 wont start it just has a single click when i turn the key. I checked the fuses and took the starter out to be bench tested and it passed with flying colors. what else could it be?

Hello and welcome to JustAnswerCustomer

Do you have a voltmeter to do some electrical testing?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

i do have a volt meter it just seems like the starter doesnt engage

Ok great.

Let's start by putting the black lead of your voltmeter on battery negative and the red lead on positive. Set the meter to 20v DC and read the voltage. Let me know what you see.

Then leave the black lead on battery negative, take the red lead to a good grounded unpainted metal engine part. Leave the meter set to 20v DC, have a helper turn the key to the crank position and read the meter. Let me know what you see.

Then go underneath. Ground the black lead again and touch the red lead to the large positive cable on the starter and read the voltage. Let me know what you see.

Then pierce the small wire going to the starter a couple inches back from where it connects to the starter. Have a helper turn the key to the crank position and read the voltage and let me know what you see.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

ok well let me say this first when i jump the starter it has power to it because it will wind but wont turn the motor over and when i turn the key i just get a click could it be a bad ground?

It could be many different things at this point. We need to start by running through these tests I mentioned and that will tell us where to go from there. There is an issue that is starting to become the common problem with no-starts on these, but I'd like to do these tests to make sure what is happening.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
ok will you be available tomorrow? (im not sure how this site works) i will do it first thing in the am cause the jeep is at my mother inlaws house

I'll be at work for the first half of tomorrow, but I do get to check in here periodically. If you reply back to me I'll get back to you as quick as I can. After that I'll be online from about the middle of the afternoon for the rest of the day and then all day Sunday.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
sounds good thanks for your help an i'll try and then check back in

Sounds great!

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
ok so i did the tests an on the positive side of the batt it read 12.28 on the neg side of the batt with the pos leed prone and the key turned it read 0 and on the starter the reading was 12.21

Did you check both the large positive cable at the starter, and piercing the small solenoid wire while someone held the key to crank>

If you do have good battery voltage at the positive cable and on the solenoid wire that leaves two things. You've either got a bad starter or poor connection at the solenoid wire terminal. If you've seen the starter work ok consistently when powered up out of the Jeep then it should be the terminal.

What happens on these is the female blade terminal on the solenoid wire will corrode. It will corrode where it makes contact with the terminal on the solenoid, but it will also corrode between the terminal and the wire at the crimp. This will cause a no crank situation. You can cut the old terminal off, make sure the wire is clean and then put a new terminal on the wire, or you could replace that section of the wiring harness, which also comes with the battery cables.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
are you talking about the smaller wire on the solenoid? because it is on a small harness and the only reason i ask that is because one of the first things i did was clean the pos le to the starter and the stud on the starter that it conects to the pos leed

Yes, the solenoid wire is the small wire at the starter. This corrosion isn't somewhere you could clean. It is going to be inside the female part of the terminal on the wire, and/or at the crimp where this terminal attaches to the harness. This isn't something that you will be able to clean, the terminal will have to be cut off, the wire verified to be corrosion free, and a new terminal installed.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
just wanted to say thank you it worked ! i cant believe thats all it was

Excellent, I'm glad to hear you got it fixed!