Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Jeep Certified Master Tech
12365498

How do you remove the headlight module on a 96 jeep grand cherokee

Customer Question

How do you remove the headlight module on a 96 jeep grand cherokee? I have a replacement to install.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Chris replied 7 years ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer Jeep. Here is the procedure for removing and installing the headlamp assembly for your 1996 Grand Cherokee. This is from the factory service manual. Hope this information is helpful, and let me know if you need more assistance with this,

Chris

HEADLAMP

REMOVAL

1. Grasp lower edge of headlamp lens and pull straight back (away) from grille opening reinforcement (GOR) Disengage lower adjuster pivots from lens assembly.
  2. Grasp upper edge of headlamp lens. Pull straight back (away) from grille opening reinforcement (GOR) Disengage upper adjuster pivot from lens assembly.
  3. Rotate bulb lock ring counterclockwise. and remove ring and bulb from lens.

INSTALLATION

1. Replace by seating the assembly in the lamp housing and turning the lock ring 1/8 turn clockwise to secure.
  2. Align upper adjust pivot into headlamp opening and snap into place.
  3. Snap lower adjuster pivots into place.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I'm trying to remove the headlight SWITCH MODULE located on the left side of the dash inside the car. I thank you for that answer but I need to replace the switch module. The problem is an intermittent contact which causes to interior lights and dash lights to go from very dim to normal as I drive down the road. By pressing on the front of the module I can cause the lights to come back on. I was told that this is a very common problem with this model.
Expert:  Chris replied 7 years ago.

Oh, ok, I am sorry,

Here is that information for you,

Chris

WARNING: ON VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH AIRBAGS, Refer to PASSIVE RESTRAINT SYSTEMS BEFORE ATTEMPTING STEERING WHEEL, STEERING COLUMN, OR INSTRUMENT PANEL COMPONENT DIAGNOSIS OR SERVICE. FAILURE TO TAKE THE PROPER PRECAUTIONS COULD RESULT IN ACCIDENTAL AIRBAG DEPLOYMENT AND POSSIBLE PERSONAL INJURY.

Both switch pod bezels are held in place with spring clips and a light snap fit. To remove the bezel from the instrument panel, pry gently around the edges of the bezel using a trim stick or other suitable wide flat-bladed tool. To install the bezel, hold it in position with one hand, then push the bezel firmly into place with the other hand.

CLUSTER BEZEL

1. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable.
  2. Remove the left and right switch pod bezels as described in this group.
  3. Remove the nine screws securing the cluster bezel to the instrument panel Cluster Bezel Screws Remove/Install
  4. Pull the cluster bezel rearward and move it to the left of the steering wheel to remove it from the vehicle.
  5. Reverse the removal procedures to install.

LEFT SWITCH POD

1. Remove the cluster bezel as described in this group.
  2. Remove the two screw securing the left switch pod to the instrument panel Left Switch Pod Remove/Install
  3. Pull the left switch pod out from the instrument panel far enough to unplug the wiring connectors.
  4. Remove the left switch pod from the instrument panel.

graphicgraphic