Amedee
Amedee, Jeep Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

Problem of losing battery power in a 2005 Jeep Liberty 3.7L

Customer Question

Problem of losing battery power in a 2005 Jeep Liberty 3.7L Renegade.

In 2 days the battery of our Jeep runs out of power when not running every day. The battery and alternator are in good shape. I pulled and checked all fuses and relays for leaks but could not find anything in them at all, not in the motor compartment nor in the interior fuses. There is a power leak which I found on the large 50 Amp fuses called JB power. I have no idea what is connected to these fuses or where to look further.

I am looking for clues where to measure or pull connections in order to find the power leak. Any suggestions?
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Amedee replied 4 years ago.

Hello!

You are going to have to pinpoint what is drawing the battery down. Disconnect the negative battery terminal. Put a test light between the negative cable and the negative battery terminal. With the key out of the ignition switch and the vehicle just sitting there (make sure the doors are closed) the test light should not light up bright. If it does, there is a draw! Disconnect one fuse at a time until the test light goes out. When it does, u have found the circuit that the draw is on! Here is a hint, a lot of times it is either the dome light, trunk light or the glove compartment light that stays on. If you do not want to go through the hassle of the test, pull the bulbs out and see if that helps.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I did exactly that, disconnect the negative had a small bulb in-line lighting up. I can pull every "normal" fuse or relays and nothing changed, except for the JB Power nr 3 and 5 with each of these the bulb goes to 50% by pulling one out and all the way down if I pull the other one out. So it must be something that is related to the 50 Amp JB power fuse 3 and 5. I don't know what is connected to JB power 3 and 5.
Expert:  Amedee replied 4 years ago.
Do you know what fuse number this 50 amp fuse is? I can get you a diagram. Does it say what "JB" is?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
That is my main problem, I don't know what "JB power" stands for. In the box it is fuse 3, 7 and 15. No. 3 and 7 have a leak (said 5 before, but that should have been 7). If I search JB power on internet the best I can come up with is junction box, but that doesn't help me further. The Owners manual doesn't tell me what JB Power stands for either.
Expert:  Amedee replied 4 years ago.
Well, I will do some research for you. GIve me a few.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX!
Expert:  Amedee replied 4 years ago.

Ok... Can you tell me which 50 amp fuse you are talking about?

graphic

graphic

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

out of the 3 x 50 Amps, the nr. 3,7 and 15 it are the number 3 and 7 both. When you pull 1 the draw is reduced by 50% if you pull the other the the draw is gone...

Expert:  Amedee replied 4 years ago.

I believe this is the circuit that you are talking about. Everything that is on fuse number 3 should be on here.

graphic

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
do you have a simular Image of the Nr. 7 fuse? I am looking for the consumers that are not on any other fuse. For example looking at the Image you attached the power sunroof has an extra fuse but the park lamp relay is direct.
Expert:  Amedee replied 4 years ago.

This should be it.

graphic

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I had hoped the 5 and 7 have anything in common but I think they don't. I just tried it again, pulled all the relays but no change until I pull out fuse 5 and 7. Everything in the car is original no add on electronics, there was a XM reciever installed but I took that out because of this issue, I am running out of Idea's. Reading the Image between the Fuse 3 and Junction Block connection C3 could there be anything wrong there?
Expert:  Amedee replied 4 years ago.
DO you know how many amps this draw is on each circuit?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Let me come back on that. I did find out that in case I turn of the interior lights (by turning the knob of the dash illumination completely off) and then closing or opening the door it takes about 8-10 sec. and the draw is gone. So it must be in the Interior/Dashboard related. I did not see any lights burning, but 1 by 1 I will pull them all.

Expert:  Amedee replied 4 years ago.

Ok... Sound good!

Let me know!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
So I did pull out all the interior lights and still I had the draw. Then I pulled out the Radio, still a draw. Then I turned off the Dashboard lights with the handle left of the steering column, still a draw, but then bu opening and closing the door 4 sec. gone. So it is not the interior light, what else is on this knob, it is the one that dims the dash and all the way down it turns off everything. Other direction it turns on the dash brighter at the end it turns on the Interior light, that is the knob where the draw is related to.
Expert:  Amedee replied 4 years ago.

It could be a module that is causing the draw. This is actually normal. It is supposed to pull a small draw for about 30 minutes or so until after the key is turned off. HOwever, if the draw continues, then we have a problem. Check how many amps or milliamp is being pulled from the battery after about an hour or so after the key is turned off. THis is going to be the most accurate test.

Let me know what you find!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I did measure the Amps today.Started out at 0.7 amps. Then by turning the dashboard light dimmer all the way down it stays at 0.7 amps for 10 sec. then it goes down to 0.25 amps then after another 10 sec. it goes down to 0.18 amps, I assume that about 2 watts of a draw is normal? Still do not understand why the draw is reacting on the dashboard light dimmer switch even with no lights or interior bulbs present.

Other thing I noticed, which I do not know if that is normal, but each time I switched the power on and off (disconnecting the battery) the lock of the tailgate door switches. I think that uses power all the time is that normal?

Expert:  Amedee replied 4 years ago.
YES... I do believe that is normal. Check the amperage draw by putting an ammeter in series with the battery negative cable. Install a jumper in parallel. Let the vehicle sit this way for 45 minutes, then remove the jumper and read the draw in amperage. Up to 50 milliamps is normal.

Edited by AMEDEE on 3/22/2010 at 12:29 AM EST