David Dill
David Dill, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  19 years as Technician, 14 years with Chrysler Group LLC

i have a 95 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the Automatic 42re transmission.

i have a 95 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the Automatic 42re transmission. The problem i am experiencing has to do with 1-2 shifts. Around 2,500 to 3,000 rpm the transmission will shift normally. Exactly 500 rpm later, after the initial shift, the transmission will disengage (for lack of a better term) causing the vehicle to loose power transmission and the engine RPM to surge. I can simply take my foot off the accelerator, drop the engine RPM to its original shift point, and the transmission will reengage. Operation from that point on is normal. The transmission will do the same thing when in second gear under heavy acceleration when the transmission shifts down to 1st. All other shifts are normal.

i have been told that the governor pressure sensor and solenoid are problematic in these models and that they were most likely the culprit. I have contadicting information that states the 1-2 shift are strictly controled by the valve body. please advise
Category: Jeep
Expert:  David Dill replied 6 years ago.

The shift solenoid usually gives a problem on the 2-3 and 3-4 shifts, but that doesn't mean that you can't have a problem on the 1-2 shift. The throttle valve adjustment can give you a delayed shift and the throttle position sensor(TPS) can also give you shifting concerns, although the TPS usually affects the torque converter lockup. You may have codes in the PCM that can be checked to help with your diagnosis. A scan tool that can read data would be very helpful in pinpointing the area to look. If you don't have one then all you can do is replace parts until you find the issue. Start with the throttle valve adjustment since there is no cost involved with this.

1. Turn ignition key to OFF position.
  2. Remove air cleaner.
  3. Verify that throttle body lever is at curb idle position. Then verify that transmission throttle lever is also at idle (full forward) position.

1. Slide cable off attachment stud on throttle body lever.
  2. Compare position of cable end to attachment stud on throttle body lever:
    1. Cable end and attachment stud should be aligned (or centered on one another) to within 1 mm (0.039 inch) in either direction.
    2. If cable end and attachment stud are misaligned (off center), cable will have to be adjusted as described in following procedure.
  1. Reconnect cable end to attachment stud. Then with aid of a helper, observe movement of transmission throttle lever and lever on throttle body.
    1. If both levers move simultaneously from idle to half-throttle and back to idle position, adjustment is correct.
    2. If transmission throttle lever moves ahead of, or lags behind throttle body lever, cable adjustment will be necessary. Or, if throttle body lever prevents transmission lever from returning to closed position, cable adjustment will be necessary.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Ok, I have already verified the TV cable is the correct length and operating correctly. I have also checked the trouble codes via the "key method" and have nothing corresponding to the transmission (just an O2 sensoer). This system is an OBD-I system with a seperate Transmission Control module. Will the codes show up using the "key method" or will i have to use a scanner to get the codes for the trans?

Also, one more thing, would it be possible for an incorrectly adjusted band to cause these problems?

Since the TCM is separate, you will need a scan tool to read the codes if there are any. You could adjust the bands just as a process of elimination, don't usually see much problems with them.

If you do a very light, easy acceleration do you experience the same kind of problem?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Yes, The problem is experienced regardless of light or heavy accelleration. The difference in acceleration does determine the RPM in which the problem occurs. Heavy acceleration will cause the problem at a higher RPM, lower acceleration will cause the problem at a lower RPM, but it only happens between 1-2 shifts

Strange that it is only happening in 2nd gear, might want to verify that the bands are adjusted properly. This will eliminate a possible problem source.