quickcar
quickcar, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  10+years in various jeep dealerships
17227360

AC..clutch..the check engine light comes back on with the same codes

Customer Question

Getting Codes P0499 and P0645. I know it refers to Vent valve solenoid and AC clutch control, but after replacing the vent valve solenoid, and checking the AC clutch wiring/fuse/relay and then resetting by disconnecting the battery the check engine light comes back on with the same codes. What to do next?

Thanks,

Rob
Category: Jeep
Expert:  quickcar replied 4 years ago.

hello, by what you have already done and checked so far it is looking like the pcm may be faulty. the 2 codes as you already know are for 2 completely different components so it is unlikely that there would be a fuse or wiring problem if both codes just set at the same time.

unfortunately to accurately diagnose this one will require a trip to the dealer or access to a scan tool that can get into the pcm and look at all the readings.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
If it is the PCM can it be reprogramed or does it need to be replaced? Can a shop with a scan tool do it?
Expert:  quickcar replied 4 years ago.

if it is the pcm it will need replaced. a shop with a scan tool may be able to do it as all they will need to do is program your vin into the new pcm. not all scan tools will support that function so it may still require a trip to the dealer.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
if it turns out to be the PCM, I'll accept answer. Thanks very much.
Expert:  quickcar replied 4 years ago.
no problem let me know how you make out.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Just as I was turning off the Jeep I heard a noise from the rear of the vehicle. On re-checking (listening) to the area in the passenger rear corner of the Jeep while it was running, where I have found from the net, there is a canister and some kind of pump are, I noticed a continuous sound like a air pump motor. Could this be the 499 code? If so how do I get to the pump/canister? What to do? I still don't know why the AC clutch would fail at the same time, but it still doesn't work. On it goes.

Rob
Expert:  quickcar replied 4 years ago.
The part you would be looking for back there would
be the nvld. Nvld stands for natural vacuum leak detector
some places may call it a leak detection pump as well. As for
the a/c clutch in with you on that one it'd odd that if would fail
at the same time like that.
quickcar, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 10+years in various jeep dealerships
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
so how do I get to the nlvd pump? I've heard it sometimes is a result of a defective gas cap.How to test? Does it usually leak back by the canister or elsewhere? I shouldn't run very long right? I guess it's good it runs at all.
Rob
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Answer came too late.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Your information really did help. If you could answer the last question I had regarding getting to the nvld pump and how to check it, it would be appreciated.

Thanks for your help
Expert:  quickcar replied 4 years ago.
ok sorry for the delay i didn't get notified of your reply till now. im looking up the procedure for removal now.
Expert:  quickcar replied 4 years ago.

heres the removal procedure from the service manual, this should help you out.

REMOVAL

Fig. 1 - ORVR VAPOR LINE
1 - EVAP CANISTER
2 - NVLD FILTER
3 - NVLD PUMP
4 - VAPOR LINES
5 - FLOW VALVE
6 - TOP OF FUEL TANK)

The Natural Vacuum Leak Detection (NVLD) pump (3) Fig. 1 and EVAP canister (1) are attached to a common support bracket. This support assembly is located to the rear of the right / rear tire under the plastic wheelhouse liner. The NVLD pump filter is also located near the EVAP canister. The pump and filter are replaced (serviced) as one unit.

1.Remove right/rear tire/wheel.
2.Remove wheelhouse liner at right/rear wheel.

Fig. 2 - EVAP CANISTER / LDP LOCATION
1 - RIGHT / REAR FENDER (WHEELHOUSE)
2 - VERTICAL SUPPORT BRACKET
3 - EVAP CANISTER

3.Remove vertical support bracket (2) Fig. 2 to gain access to ORVR vapor lines.

Fig. 3 - ORVR VAPOR LINE
1 - EVAP CANISTER
2 - NVLD FILTER
3 - NVLD PUMP
4 - VAPOR LINES
5 - FLOW VALVE
6 - TOP OF FUEL TANK)

4.A vapor line (4) Fig. 3 connects the fuel tank to the EVAP canister and NVLD pump. This connection is made near the right/rear corner of the fuel tank. Carefully disconnect this line. Be very careful not to bend or kink the vapor lines. If lines leak, a Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) will be set.

Fig. 4 - COMMON SUPPORT BRACKET ASSEMBLY
1 - LDP FILTER
2 - COMMON SUPPORT BRACKET
3 - EVAP CANISTER NUTS (4)
4 - EVAP CANISTER
5 - LDP
6 - LDP ELEC. CONNECT.

5.Remove common support bracket assembly (2) Fig. 4 containing pump, pump filter and EVAP canister from vehicle. While lowering this assembly, disconnect pump electrical connector (6) Fig. 4 at LDP pump. Do not allow the assembly to hang from the wire harness.
6.Carefully separate hose at bottom of pump filter.
7.Carefully remove vapor/vacuum lines at pump.
8.If necessary, remove pump filter mounting bolt and remove filter.

9.Remove EVAP canister from common support bracket by removing four nuts (3) Fig. 4 .

Fig. 5 - LDP MOUNTING BOLTS
1 - COMMON SUPPORT BRACKET
2 - LDP MOUNTING BOLTS (3)

10.Remove three pump mounting bolts (2) Fig. 5 and remove pump from support bracket.

Edited by quickcar on 3/1/2010 at 9:57 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks so much. That will do it for the vapor canister thing. I hope the leak is not at the tank. Anyway thanks again. I OK'd payment. If I need other help I'll ask for you.
Expert:  quickcar replied 4 years ago.
No problem and I hope you get it fixed.