Roland
Roland, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Master Certified for Jeep. ASE certified, Working in Dealership since 1992
30952659

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee: stalls..anything, put definitely stops

2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Starts okay. Sometimes stalls without doing anything, put definitely stops when transmission put in to any gear. NO problem in this area before this . Happened suddenly.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Roland replied 4 years ago.

Janice, there could be many reasons this is happening. Since, I am not there to test drive your vehicle, or look at it, I will be asking you a lot of questions. Do you mainly want to know what is wrong with your vehicle before taking it to a shop, or do you want to try to fix the vehicle yourself?

The first set of questions are:

1. Can you force the vehicle to stay running when you put it into gear? Does it move when it goes into gear?
  2. Are there any check engine lights on?
  3. Are there any noises, and if so, where are they coming from and what do the noises sound like?
  4. Will the vehicle start right back up after stalling?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Believe me, I wish you WERE here to test it. My initial thought was that it might be low transmisison fluid and then realized I don't even know how to check that! Sooooo ..... thought I'd try the simple things first before call the Auto Club to tow. 'Hope that answers your question about what my plans are.

1. Vehicle does NOT stay running when put into gear. 'Can't remember if it moved but if this is critical I'll go check it.

2. Also can't remember if check engine light came on.

3. No noises (unless you count the ones I made .....)

4. Vehicle starts right back up after stalling.

Let me know if you want me to go check the unknowns in #1 and #2 above.

'Can't find "accept button" you asked me to hit. ('Told you I'm a loony ......)

Janice

Expert:  Roland replied 4 years ago.

First, you won't get an accept answer before I give you an answer. The above was only an info request. Thanks for having a great sense of humor--I got a good laugh!

It won't be a simple fix because if it only stalls in gear, it could be a wiring issue, it could be transmission related (something like the lock-up stays locked-up), a crank sensor locks up when it gets twisted. Once you get it to the auto shop, the auto tech should be able to diagnose with the correct scanner.

If you hit the accept answer, I will get paid, although I cannot give you a definite answer without being there. I hope that you are able to get your car repaired fast. Just so you know, I am the one that repairs transmissions in my shop and have got all the testing for the transmissions. The above is the best I can tell you without being there with the tools and test driving it.

Have a great day!

Roland, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: Master Certified for Jeep. ASE certified, Working in Dealership since 1992
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Roland ....... since I have used up my $13, let me know how I make a tip. Do you have a tip jar?

While I was waiting for your last response, I sneaked outside and started up the car to see if the "Check Engine" light came on. Welllllll ...... here's the deal .... are you old enough to remember when you came to a stop light and put on the brake that the car would stall if you didn't also keep the accelerator revved? That's what the car is doing. Soooooo .... I tried pressing the accelerator, keeping the brake on, put the car in to gear and off we went. Wow. 'Almost through the neighbor's front window.

Initially the car sounded like it was "running rough" ...... idling badly. (I have a 1969 MGB that I bought brand new so I know every single problem an old car can have ... the problem is called "Lucas." Now you know why the English drink warm beer and how intermitent windshield wipers were invented: Lucas) Is it possible this isn't a trans problem at all? Can it just be a timing problem? How do I get you more money?

Janice

Expert:  Roland replied 4 years ago.

This answer is still part of your original question, so you don't need to give me more money. Due to what you just told me, it isn't a transmission problem. It is an idle issue.

Check the air filter for blockage and also check the throttle body for carbon build-up. The build-up would be black. You can open the throttle body with the engine off. The throttle body is under the plastic housing coming from the air filter housing. If there is a lot of carbon build up, clean the throttle body, remove Idle Air Control (IAC) motor, clean and reinstall. If that doesn't fix the concern, it will more than likely need an IAC motor.

Roland, ASE Certified Technician