brownjeff
brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  17 years experience, ASE certified, dealership certified, Service Manager for 15 years,
11021861

A P1698 code from OBD II diagnostic reading..M..repair myself

Have received a P1698 code from OBD II diagnostic reading. "No CCD Message received from PCM". Is this something I can repair myself by ordering replacement parts or self repair by process of cleaning or checking existing equipment?
Category: Jeep
Expert:  brownjeff replied 4 years ago.
This is a code for a internal problem in the power train control module (PCM) It is saying there is no communication. Make sure there is a good connection at the module and the wiring is good. If no problems there then the PCM will need to be replaced.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Can you provide some guidedance as to where the PCM is located and how best to determine the condition of the wiring, i.e. fraied, stiff wiring, burnt, etc. Also, most recently prior to the P1698 code appearing while in the middle driving the Jeep has just stopped running, all power, all everything goes dead. Able to restart while coasting in neutral, but it happens infrequently thereafter. Originally thought it might be vapor lock or something like that but now know it's something electrical related. Thought it might be the Jeep's electronic brain (ECM). Not sure what CCD is? Any diagrams or location pictures for the PCM would be helpful.

Expert:  brownjeff replied 4 years ago.

The pcm and ecm are the same thing just a different name for the same module.

The PCM is located on the cowl panel in right/rear side of engine compartment.

graphic

Make sure the connectors are tight. When removed look for spread terminals, burnt spots, corrosion, etc. Anything that will cause a bad connection

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
OK, found it. It's behind 1 wiring harness, & the overflow coolant tank. Final question, while it's looks fairly simple to get out once you get to it are there any step by step access instructions avail to make sure I can get to the PCM and then reassemble back any/all the misc. pieces moved to get to it. And most importantly do you have the OEM part number from Jeep and also any recommendations for aftermarket replacements (and their part numbers,etc.) Is is best to purchase OEM for this, any programing required?
Expert:  brownjeff replied 4 years ago.

Part# XXXXX for an OEM and is the best way to go for this part

REMOVAL
To avoid possible voltage spike damage to PCM, ignition key must be off; and negative battery cable must be disconnected before unplugging PCM connectors.

1. Disconnect negative battery cable at battery.
  2. Remove coolant reserve/overflow tank.
  3. Remove cover over electrical connectors. Cover snaps onto PCM.
  4. Carefully unplug three 32-way connectors at PCM.

graphic

1. Remove three PCM bracket-to-body mounting nuts.
  2. Remove PCM/PCM bracket assembly from vehicle.

graphic

1. Remove 3 PCM-to - PCM bracket bolts (screws).

INSTALLATION

1. Check pins in three 32-way electrical connectors for damage. Repair as necessary.
  2. Install PCM to its mounting bracket. Tighten three mounting bolts to 3 Nm (25 in. lbs.) torque.
  3. Install PCM and bracket to body. Install 3 nuts and tighten 9 Nm (80 in. lbs.) torque.
  4. Install three 32-way connectors.
  5. Install cover over electrical connectors. Cover snaps onto PCM.
  6. Install coolant reserve/overflow tank.
  7. Connect negative cable to battery.
  8. Use the DRB scan tool to reprogram new PCM with vehicles original Identification Number (VIN) and original vehicle mileage.
brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 17 years experience, ASE certified, dealership certified, Service Manager for 15 years,