Daryl
Daryl, Shop Owner, Master Mechanic
Experience:  28 years experience, Master Mechanic
8994801

how do you test an ignition switch

Customer Question

how do you test an ignition switch?
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Daryl replied 4 years ago.
You should have power on the lt blue/red wire terminal 5 all the time, terminals 3 and 4 should get power when the key is in the start position and terminal 3 should be power in the on position. Power to the terminal #5 comes from fuse 19 in the power distribution center.

Edited by zzdaryl on 2/12/2010 at 1:09 AM EST
Daryl, Shop Owner, Master Mechanic
Experience: 28 years experience, Master Mechanic
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
we get no power at all on any pronges but when we put the plug back in the dash lights come on oil battery etc.
Expert:  Daryl replied 4 years ago.
What are you using to check for power?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Im using a probing test light. I also found Fuse #19 blown and I replaced it.
Expert:  Daryl replied 4 years ago.
So there still was no power when you replaced fuse 19?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Correct
Expert:  Daryl replied 4 years ago.
Did you check for power at the fuse? If not you will need to do that.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes I have on power both sides of fuse while fuse is plugged in.

Expert:  Daryl replied 4 years ago.
Ok then if there is not power on the terminal #5 there must be a broken wire between the fuse and the switch.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I was checking wrong end of plug. I do get power on #5 and power on # XXXXX when key is on. Also get power on #4 in crank position. Still no power to starter solenoid.
Expert:  Daryl replied 4 years ago.
Ok there is a relay in the under hood fuse box it is a starter relay. Remove the relay and see if there is power on 2 of the terminals while trying to start the engine. ALso check fuse 10 (40 amp first). If there is power on 2 of the terminals the problem is either the relay or the computer is not grounding the relay for some reason. I will do more checking into the cause of this and get back to you later.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have to go to work. Back in about 8 hours or so. I will get back to you then. Thanks for all of your help.
Expert:  Daryl replied 4 years ago.
ok
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
On starter relay getting constant on power for #30 and power only in crank position on #86. Still have a clicking behind fuse box and from #39 HVAC relay in crank position and clicking form starter relay.
Expert:  Daryl replied 4 years ago.
Ok, then if you jump 30 and 87 to see if the engine cranks that will tell you if the wire from the relay is good to the starter. Also if it does crank that way see if there is a ground on 85 terminal while cranking.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yeah! Starter does crank with jumper not sure on how to check ground. I did connect clip from probe tool to positive side of battery & probe with other end on 85 while jumping. No light came on probe tool.
Expert:  Daryl replied 4 years ago.
Ok did you have the key on when you did the ground check?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
NO
Expert:  Daryl replied 4 years ago.
Ok check it again, it sounds like you are checking it correctly. Also see if it will start this way. Be sure to remove the jumper if it does start. One other thing have you tried to start this in neutral with the key?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
We tried checking ground while key was in on position also while cranking. Car would crank but not start.
Expert:  Daryl replied 4 years ago.
Is there a security light on that is not usually on? When did this problem start?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Neighbor's car. Owners manual in glove box says 2005! Will this matter. She told me it was a 2006. Door decal indicates man. date 1/2005. There is one flashing red dot on insturment panel when key is in on position. Also the key that I am using does not have a chip in it.
Expert:  Daryl replied 4 years ago.

The year will not matter. If you have a different key you might try that. I believe you are either having a security problem or a park/neutral problem but usually if there is a park/neutral problem you can jump the starter and it will run. So it is more likely a security issue. You never did say how this problem may have started?

You might try removing the battery cables and touching them together for a couple of minutes to see if it helps.

Edited by zzdaryl on 2/13/2010 at 2:18 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

day #3 I tryed touching cables together for 10 - 15

min. still nothing . I got one of the original keys from the owner which has the keyless entry buttons. Looks like no chip on key. Can't get keyless entry to work from key. The security red dot on insturment cluster no longer comes on. Info center reads service electric brake system.

Expert:  Daryl replied 4 years ago.

You never did say how this problem may have started?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Just came outside to try and start it and nothing happen. She said that she didn't do anything different. Battery is brand new!

Expert:  Daryl replied 4 years ago.
Could this have happened when the battery went dead or when the battery was changed?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Battery was bad and I did change it. Ibelieve she used one of those large upright battery chargers on wheels with jump start on it.
Expert:  Daryl replied 4 years ago.

For any other diagnosis to be done on this a good scan tool will be needed, I suspect that either the computer is the problem or there is a security system that is keeping this from starting/running. Many times on these if they are jump started or the battery goes dead the computer will loose the programming for the key, if that happens it will act just like this is and the repair is to get the programming redone, this needs to be done using a Dealer scan tool/programmer. If the security system is not the problem I am thinking that the computer is not starting and running because it thinks the trans is not in neutral or park (which you could check with a good scan tool).

Edited by zzdaryl on 2/13/2010 at 8:00 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
There was a message on the dashboard that read something about transmission overheated and i was not able to shift out of park unless I disconnected battery.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
zzdaryl thanks for your time. I learned a lot. Guess my neighbor will have to bring it in to get it diagnosed . If you didn`t get paid please reply and I`ll accept
Expert:  Daryl replied 4 years ago.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX get paid. I wish I could have helped more but some things just need more specialized equipment to figure it out.