sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist

how do I adjust the valves on my sons 93 Jeep Cherokee 4.0

how do I adjust the valves on my sons 93 Jeep Cherokee 4.0?

Hello and welcome back to JustAnswer!

The lifters in your 4.0 are automatically self adjusting to 0 lash. The rockers aren't adjustable, when they are installed they bolt down solid to 21 ft lbs, no adjustment possible or required.

If you have lifter tick on startup make sure the oil filter you are using has a drainback valve. Many aftermarket filters don't, and it allows the oil to drain back down into the pan while the engine is off. This will cause some lifter noise on startup until the oil reaches the top end.

Also if you are running thick oil you may have some lifter noise on startup in cold weather because the oil travels so slowly. 10w30 or 5w30 are recommended.

If the oil and filter are ok and you have lifter noise when cold then you may have one or more lifters that need to be replaced.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Wow! It has been cold here in DE and could be the problem , but I usually use fram filters and not real sure on the drainback valve. How big a deal is replacing valves?

I would definitely try another brand of oil filter other than the one you have on it (it's a big offender of problems). Your best bet would be a Mopar filter from your dealer, it runs about $5.

Replacing the lifters in a 4.0 will take about 5-6 hours. The lifters are under the cylinder head and it has to come off to get them out of the block.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for your help but $23 seems like alot for this answer

I apologize if you aren't happy with my help. If you don't feel I've helped you then there is no need to click the Accept button.