Randall C
Randall C, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE Master Tech, L1, Jeep owner, Shop owner
13677702

The wiring harness on my 96 4.0 l Jeep Cherokee country rear

Customer Question

The wiring harness on my 96 4.0 l Jeep Cherokee country rear O2 sensor is missing. I purchased a Bosch O2 sensor, It has 2 white, one black, one grey wires . I was going to splice the wires together, but What wires match up to the excisting vehicle wires ?
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Randall C replied 4 years ago.
hello, do you have a plug on either side? did the o2 come with plug? or is the plug still on vehicle side?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I just purchased the vehicle, and the previous owner cut the wires or they were pulled apart by the drive shaft. I see four cut ? wires from the harness , but only two wires from the excisting rear O2 sensor. I purchased a bosch O2 sensor that has 4 wires and a female connector on it. I have splice connectors and water prove wrap... but I dont kow which wire goes where?
Expert:  Randall C replied 4 years ago.
Ok, bear with me a little bit. I need to pull up some diagrams. back shortly. thanks
Expert:  Randall C replied 4 years ago.
Ok, looking at the o2 sensor plug at the pins. face on. hold the lock tab of the o2 sensor plug so it is at 12 oclock.

the top right will be the Dark green/yellow wire from car.
Bottom right will be the Black/Light blue from car.
Bottom left will be Black/Pink from car.
Top left will be Black/tan from car
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I finally was able to hook up the O2 sensor, But my wires were a different color combination.+ Im getting mil light codes P0141, P0138. I believe the wires are not hooked up properly, I tried to match the colors as close as possible, This is what I did, Top right Dark/Green , Green / White

Bottom right Black / Light Blue , same

Bottom left Black / Pink , Black / White

Top Left Black / Tan , Orange or maybe a green ?

Expert:  Randall C replied 4 years ago.
which o2 sensor are you doing,? the front or rear one?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It is the rear one. I replaced it with a Bosch, had four wires, 2- black, one white, one grey.
Expert:  Randall C replied 4 years ago.
Ok, let me recheck. back shortly
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
OK thanks, XXXXX XXXXX this vehicle about 3 weeks ago. The previous owner told me it needed a rear O2 sensor. I thought no big deal. But this morning the car would not idle. Every time was a hard start then it would die if you were not giveing it gas. So I figured to start with the O2 sensor becuase I knew it needed one. Thats when I discovered that the wireing haarness connection was missing. I did notice that the check engine light was off, I thought that was wierd becuase it had always been on since I purchased the car. I figured that it was on becuase of the O2 sensor. Do you think that the O2 sensor would some how create the problem of not idleing, even after 2-3 weeks of driveing the car with no problems.
Expert:  Randall C replied 4 years ago.
am just not finding the color wires you are coming up with.

My colors in the diagram.

Dark green/orange
Black /white
Tan/white
Black / Blue

Is this a left hand drive vehicle or right hand drive. Maybe that is the difference. LMK
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
left hand drive It is a U.S. vehicle I even had my wife double check the wires they did not match. The car is running now but has the check engine light on and showing those codes .
Expert:  Randall C replied 4 years ago.
You have to verify the wire colors you have. In one statement you said a wire is either orange Or green

Double check that green/white.

If I can not match up the wire colors on your vehicle, I will not be able to help. Please reconfirm the exact colors of your wires. Thanks