supertech
supertech, master tech
Experience:  a1-a8,l1,t2,b5.ASE triple chrysler master tech 42yr experience HEV chrysler Specialist

2000 Jeep Cherokee: sometimes the parking lights and dash lights

I have a 2000 Jeep Cherokee w 327000 miles on it. The problem is that sometimes the parking lights and dash lights do not go out when the switch is turned of. Have replaced the switch and that did nothing. Disconnecting the battery and re0connected and they still came on. Any ideas?
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Mark replied 4 years ago.

When this occurs.......try disconnecting the headlight switch.

Let me know what the results are.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Problem is the car is now with my son at college. I will try to get him to do it this week but he is not very knowledgeable about working on cars. Sorry
Expert:  Mark replied 4 years ago.
Alright.....well let me know.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: I still need help.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Was able to disconnect the light switch yesterday and the lights stayed on. On a desperate try I replaced the turn sigle indicator with no luck. Lights remain on. It looks to me that both elements of the bulbs are lit up. I am guessing a direct short. Any other ideas?
Expert:  Mark replied 4 years ago.
Ok, I'll need to opt out of this one and pass it on to the other experts for their thoughts.......sit tight.
Expert:  supertech replied 4 years ago.
Hi my name is john.

The most likely cause of this problem is usually the brake light/tail lamp grounds are either loose or corroded. Also check the brake light/tail light connector for any corrosion or check the lense for any water leaks or water intrusion. Also check the trailer tow connector if equipped. The circuit is backfeeding.

Many Jeeps and Trucks use the TURN SIGNAL light for the BRAKE light (vise versa). If there is a loose ground or a corroded socket, the circuit will back feed. See section 8w-51 of the manual. Note that the brake light and turn signal circuit are one in the same. When the brakes are applied voltage is applied to the L50 and the L62 & L63 (reference the XJ manual), if the ground is loose the voltage will back feed onto the TAIL LAMP circuit (L7). Therefore since you have voltage on the tail lamp circuit the radio will think the park/tail lights are on and the radio will dim down. See section 8w-47 (park light input to radio).

Let me know what else you need and find out
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have a quick question- how would the brake lights be backfeeding if there is no pressure on the brake switch?
Expert:  supertech replied 4 years ago.

The trailer tow connector can have water in it.

I try disconnecting the brake light switch and see if it helps,if it is shorted internal.

connector c100,c106 need to be check also for water intrusion.

graphic

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Can not figure out how to get you paid. It appears the trailer hitch plug shorted itself. How do I get you paid now? I do not see a button to approve it
Expert:  supertech replied 4 years ago.
You will need to push the accept button.

Thank you

supertech, master tech
Experience: a1-a8,l1,t2,b5.ASE triple chrysler master tech 42yr experience HEV chrysler Specialist