Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Jeep Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector & Jeep Diagnostics/Repair
18617752

Where is the oil pressure switch on a 1999 jeep gr. cher. lar.

where is the oil pressure switch on a 1999 jeep gr. cher. lar. 4x4/4.0L/6 cyl. I cannot find it for the life of me...im not a mechanic, but it should be fairly obvious, no?!!!

The oil pressure sensor is on the passenger's side, above the starter towards the rear of the engine next to bell housing.

graphic

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
..thats with the entire assembly?...the gauge and connector?

This is just a sensor. It has a 3-wire connector going to it (violet/whit, grey/yellow, black/lt. blue), this sensor sends a signal that registers on the gauge on the dash.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
the replacement i bought also has the gauge that screws into the engine?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
..what i mean is, it is the electrical connector on top of some kind of round, threaded thing

No. I believe you have the wrong part. From what you describe, you've got the sensor for an "idiot light" and not a "gauge". The OEM part# XXXXX: 56028807AB - take that to the parts store and have them "cross over" this number to aftermarket.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
can i use that part?its the only thing that shows up on rock auto catalog and autozone..my gauge is malfuctioning, i thinkg..low psi...and the idiot check gauges light comes on

Thats a very common problem with Jeep. I just did one on a 2004 G/C. Usually is the Oil Pressure Sensor. However, no, these 2 sensors are not interchangable. Try a "better" parts store, like NAPA. Those guys at AutoZone really don't know their stuff to well. Like i say, bring the OEM# XXXXX you, and most places can just "cross over" this number to the applicable after market part.