Doug In North Carolina
Doug In North Carolina, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Mechanic, 12 Years Experience Specializing in HVAC, Electrical and Driveability Problems.
25809449

1996 jeep cherokee antifreeze leak and no heat coming from heater.

Thanks for using Just Answer, my name is Doug.

Do you know where the coolant leak is coming from?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

The leak was just discovered this evening; a large puddle of antifreeze when the car was moved. The car was parked again and then moved about 2 hours later and a small puddle was seen. It seems to be coming from the side of the car where the coolant tank is located.

Sorry, I'm not very good with cars :) But, this morning, the heater worked and there was no puddle. This afternoon (7 hours later) hello, puddle and heater worked. Add two hours to that, tiny puddle and no heat.

I can go and check to see if there is any coolant in the tank still....would that help?

There's a number of places that could be the source of your leak but the most common areas that leak on your Cherokee are the water pump, directly above that at the thermostat housing and then the radiator itself. There's a number of other things that can leak but those are the most common.

The water pump and thermostat are both located in the front of the engine just about dead center of the car.

When you develop a coolant leak, the air pocket in the coolant system causes the loss of heat. The system can be filled back up and your heat should return until the leak causes the level to drop too low again.