carpro1
carpro1, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ase certified with experience in all makes, owner of several late model Jeep vehicles

2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland: the best rated tires..4x4..highway

what are the best rated tires for my 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 4x4. I only use on highway and local roads. They have OE Goodyear Wrangler 245/65/17's now
Category: Jeep
Expert:  carpro1 replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for using just answer.

This depends, does this truck get exposed to snow/ice driving also or what type of climate area do you live in?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

yes I live in NJ so and we get all kinds of weather including the above.

Thanks

Expert:  carpro1 replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for the reply.

What is the mos important things you expect in your next tires.....high mileage wear rating, snow traction, tire noise level, etc??? Are you looking for the best tire or a good blend of price/wear rating and noise level?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I would say a combo of high mileage+snow/rain traction and noise level. As far as price, I need 4 so something reasonable $75-$130. Maybe the Good year ForteraTriple tread or Wrangler silent armor? Any thoughts on the Yokohama tires, they seem to be very reasobable and rated decent?Thanks
Expert:  carpro1 replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for the reply.

Yokohama tires are good tires but they make a better car tire then a Truck tire in my opinion and experience.

The good year wrangler tires that your truck had from the facotry are "good" tires but the sidewalls are weak and they do not grip or wear very well.

3 tires I recommend on this truck

-Yes as you mentioned the Goodyear Fortera, this is a better tire then your factory tire, it has excellent traction and good wear however they are a little noisey and once the tire is 50% or more worn I find that it tends to get very noisey and wear very funny. THese are around $130 each

-Second tire I recommend but it outprices what your budget limit is set at is the Michelin LTX M/S, this is by far the best tire you can get for a SUV or Truck, it gets up to 100,000 miles in tread life and has a very good traction in a variety of rain/snow/mud, it is also the most fuel efficient tire and quietest I have seen but these are around $200 each for this size tire.

-Third tire I would recommend is the BF goodXXXXX XXXXX Trail T/A touring, these are around $140 each and get excellent tread life mileage and have above average traction.

The most important thing with what ever tire you decide on is to have them cross rotated and balanced regularly as well as maintaining a proper alignment on the truck to maximize wear life and fuel mileage.

carpro1, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ase certified with experience in all makes, owner of several late model Jeep vehicles