ricardo hohl
ricardo hohl, Instructor
Experience:  ase master certified ,and factory certified,also autmotive instructor for 28 years
14457476

1989 Jeep Cherokee: smog check..my check engine light..recall..hooking

Customer Question

I took 1989 Jeep Cherokee for a smog check and the test station said I needed my check engine light fixed before he could do the test. Does a 1989 Jeep Cherokee have a test engine light, there is no mention of a check engine light in the manuals and I don't recall any mechanic hooking up my Jeep to a computer.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  ricardo hohl replied 6 years ago.
hi, yes there is a test port for that and its located outside the engine compartment next to the computer on the left fender if is Chrysler and on the right side fender if it is the old version of American motors , there should be an engine light on at the instrument panel if it stays on when engine running must likely there is a problem with the emissions and that will prevent smug test to pass until the problem is solved .is the engine light on?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I just need to know if a 1989 Jeep Cherokee has a check engine light on the dashboard
yes it does ,you should be able to see it when you turn the ignition key to on and then go out. if you don't see it then some one removed the light bulb from the instrument panel.
you can reset this light by disconnecting the 02 sensor and reconnecting it back the light should reset then.