Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience:  30 YRS EXPERIENCE, FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DEISEL
17454363

How to remove and replace 95 jeep wrangler heater core

Customer Question

How to remove and replace '95 jeep wrangler heater core?
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 4 years ago.
Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX do not have to remove the dash to get to the heater core, the airbox comes out with out removing the dash, i will post the procedure below,Tim
Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience: 30 YRS EXPERIENCE, FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DEISEL
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 4 years ago.
Notes

REMOVAL

WARNING: HOT ENGINE COOLANT CAN CAUSE SEVERE BURNS. DO NOT OPEN THE RADIATOR DRAIN COCK WHEN THE COOLING SYSTEM IS HOT AND PRESSURIZED. ALLOW THE COOLANT TO DECREASE TO ROOM TEMPERATURE BEFORE STARTING REPAIR OPERATIONS.

1. Drain approximately 1.9 liters (2 qts) of coolant from the radiator, Drain the coolant into a clean container.
  2. Disconnect the heater hoses.
  3. Disconnect the vent door cables.
  4. Disconnect the blower motor wire.
  5. Disconnect the defroster duct.
  6. Remove the nuts that attach the heater housing studs to the engine compartment side of the dash panel.
  7. Remove the heater housing assembly by tilting it downward, to disengage it from the' defroster duct. Pull it rearward and out from under the instrument panel.
  8. Remove the heater housing cover from the housing.
  9. Remove the heater core from the housing.

INSTALLATION

1. Install the heater core in the housing and install the cover on the housing.
  2. Position the heater housing on the dash panel. Be sure the housing studs all extend through the dash panel.
  3. Install the seals on the heater core outlet and inlet tubes and over the blower motor housing.
  4. Install the attaching nuts on the housing studs.

CAUTION: DO NOT over tighten the attaching nuts. The housing could become distorted causing air leaks and improper heater door operation. Tighten the nuts alternately and evenly until 2 stud threads are visible beyond each nut.

1. Connect the defroster duct to the housing.
  2. Connect the blower motor wire.
  3. Connect the vent door control cables.
  4. Connect the heater hoses.
  5. Fill and bleed the cooling system.
  6. Check system operation.

Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Your answer is great! I just need you to see if I got this: 1. Take dash all apart 2. get to the housing around heater core and the vent switch lever air box thing some how find the heater core remove & hook up new one just like old one. 3. put all things back together and pray you don't have left over parts..like you did when you built model car when you were little?...
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 4 years ago.
No, you dont have to remove the dash parts, just follow the above instructions, once you get the airbox out, then you can remove the heater core,Tim