sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist

2003 jeep grand cherokee: cool down..crank sensor..the pcm screw issue

Customer Question

I have a 2003 jeep grand cherokee and it keeps stalling when driving and gets up to normal operating temp..... let it cool down and it starts again then stalls when back up to temp. retrieved code p0725 and replaced crank sensor but didn't fix it does the 2003 have the pcm screw issue or does anyone know anything else i could do to fix this......thanks ken
Category: Jeep
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 6 years ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

Did you use a Mopar crank sensor? Many problems have been seen with aftermarket sensors. If you used a Mopar sensor or the symptoms didn't change at all after replacing it, you may have a bad cam sensor.

The cam sensor on your 4.7 is located on the right side of the right bank head, just in front of the exhaust manifold. The cam and crank sensors share the same sensor ground and 5v reference circuits, and an internal short in either of these sensors can take the other down and set a fault code for the opposite sensor.

An internal PCM problem or even sensor wiring would be possible (wiring not as likely since it restarts with a cool off period), but I believe you have a bad cam sensor. Cam sensors fail far more often on a 4.7 than a crank sensor, and I believe that is probably what you are fighting.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
if i replace the cam senso and this doesn'fix the problem where do i go next......i also noticed that when the jeep dies and i try to restart the fuel pump keeps on running as if it thinks its running and after the jeep cools down it does its normal 2 second run when the key is turned on.

If the fuel pump keeps running on it's own that's another vote for the cam sensor.

When you turn the key on the ASD and fuel pump relay will power up and then turn off. When you crank the engine it watches for the cam and crank signals and make sure they are in time. Even if you turn the engine over by hand or if you trick the PCM into thinking the cam sensor is producing a signal, the engine doesn't have to be running and it will power the fuel pump relay back up because it thinks the engine is rotating and will be starting. I really believe the cam sensor will fix your issue. It's either that, wiring, or the PCM, but cam sensors are pretty common with all of the symptoms you've described. If the fuel pump stays running consistantly every time it dies, reach up and unplug the cam sensor. If this shuts the fuel pump off you know that's the issue.