jeepmopar76
jeepmopar76, Jeep/Chrysler Triple Master Tech
Experience:  32yr ASE Master Tech, 9yr Chrysler Master Tech, 19 yr Jeep Dealership service including AMC/Eagle

We are replacing the heater core in our 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee.

Customer Question

We are replacing the heater core in our 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee. But we are having a great deal of trouble removing the everything to get to it. Is there a trick it it? (This is a V8)
Category: Jeep
Expert:  jeepmopar76 replied 4 years ago.

I will include some pics and the proceedure, although you won't be able to click on the blue links; i cannot include all the links, and pics, as it would take all day. I will try to include the most important ones. The biggest problem I found on this one, was the wiring harness has a hidden screw, that is facing the rear, that bolts the harness to the alumimium tower.( about where the cluster would be) . this screw has a 8mm head, and is nearly impossible to reach, or see. I have found the best way to remove was to pry the harness assembly loose, with a large pry bar, breaking the little tab holding the harness to the tower .(this is spoken of nowhere in the text). Good luck; this is a tough job, even for the pros!

REMOVAL

WARNING: ON VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH AIRBAGS, DISABLE THE AIRBAG SYSTEM BEFORE ATTEMPTING ANY STEERING WHEEL, STEERING COLUMN, OR INSTRUMENT PANEL COMPONENT DIAGNOSIS OR SERVICE. DISCONNECT AND ISOLATE THE BATTERY NEGATIVE (GROUND) CABLE, THEN WAIT TWO MINUTES FOR THE AIRBAG SYSTEM CAPACITOR TO DISCHARGE BEFORE PERFORMING FURTHER DIAGNOSIS OR SERVICE. THIS IS THE ONLY SURE WAY TO DISABLE THE AIRBAG SYSTEM. FAILURE TO TAKE THE PROPER PRECAUTIONS COULD RESULT IN ACCIDENTAL AIRBAG DEPLOYMENT AND POSSIBLE PERSONAL INJURY.

NOTE: Before starting this procedure, be certain to turn the steering wheel until the front wheels are in the straight-ahead position.

1. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable.
  2. Remove the trim from the right and left A-pillars. (Refer to 23 - BODY/INTERIOR/A-PILLAR TRIM - REMOVAL).
  3. Remove the top cover from the instrument panel. (Refer to 23 - BODY/INSTRUMENT PANEL/INSTRUMENT PANEL TOP COVER - REMOVAL).
  4. Remove the four nuts that secure the instrument panel to the studs on the dash panel near the windshield fence line (INSTRUMENT PANEL TO DASH PANEL MOUNTING).
  5. Remove the scuff plates from the right and left front door sills. (Refer to 23 - BODY/INTERIOR/DOOR SILL SCUFF PLATE - REMOVAL).
  6. Remove the trim panels from the right and left inner cowl sides. (Refer to 23 - BODY/INTERIOR/COWL TRIM - REMOVAL).
  7. Remove the console from the floor panel transmission tunnel. (Refer to 23 - BODY/INTERIOR/FLOOR CONSOLE - REMOVAL).
  8. Remove the fuse cover from the Junction Block (JB). (Refer to 8 - ELECTRICAL/POWER DISTRIBUTION/FUSE COVER - REMOVAL).
  9. Remove the cluster bezel from the instrument panel. (Refer to 23 - BODY/INSTRUMENT PANEL/CLUSTER BEZEL - REMOVAL).
  10. Remove the steering column opening cover from the instrument panel. (Refer to 23 - BODY/INSTRUMENT PANEL/STEERING COLUMN OPENING COVER - REMOVAL).
  11. Remove the steering column bracket from the instrument panel steering column support bracket. (Refer to 23 - BODY/INSTRUMENT PANEL/IP STEERING COLUMN BRACKET - REMOVAL).
  12. Remove the screw that secures the lower tilting steering column shroud to the steering column multi-function switch mounting housing (STEERING COLUMN SHROUDS REMOVE/INSTALL).
  13. Unsnap the two halves of the tilting steering column shroud from each other and remove both halves from the steering column.
  14. Disconnect the instrument panel wire harness connectors from the following steering column components (STEERING COLUMN CONNECTIONS):
    • the two lower clockspring connector receptacles
    • the left multi-function switch connector receptacle
    • the right multi-function switch connector receptacle
    • the two ignition switch connector receptacles
    • the shifter interlock solenoid connector receptacle
    • if the vehicle is so equipped, the Sentry Key Immobilizer Module (SKIM) connector receptacle.
  15. Turn the ignition switch to the On position, then release and remove the shifter interlock cable connector from the ignition lock housing receptacle.
  16. Turn the ignition switch back to the Lock position to prevent steering wheel rotation and the loss of clockspring centering following steering column removal.
  17. Remove the bolt that secures the coupler to the lower steering column shaft (STEERING COLUMN MOUNTING).
  18. Remove the four nuts that secure the steering column to the studs on the instrument panel steering column support bracket.
  19. Remove the steering column from the instrument panel. Be certain that the steering wheel is locked and secured from rotation to prevent the loss of clockspring centering.
  20. Disconnect the left and right body wire harness connectors, the Ignition Off Draw (IOD) wire harness connector and the fused B(+) wire harness connector from the connector receptacles of the JB (JUNCTION BLOCK CONNECTIONS).
  21. Disconnect the instrument panel wire harness connectors from the following floor panel transmission tunnel components (FLOOR PANEL TRANSMISSION TUNNEL):
    • the Airbag Control Module (ACM) connector receptacle
    • the park brake switch terminal
    • the transmission shifter connector receptacle.
  22. Remove the two nuts that secure the instrument panel wire harness ground eyelets to the studs on the floor panel transmission tunnel in front of and behind the ACM.
  23. Disengage the retainers that secure the instrument panel wire harness to the floor panel transmission tunnel.
  24. Remove the instrument panel to center floor tunnel bracket from the instrument panel and the floor panel transmission tunnel. (Refer to 23 - BODY/INSTRUMENT PANEL/IP CENTER FLOOR TUNNEL BRACKET - REMOVAL).
  25. Remove the one screw that secures the floor duct to the heater and air conditioner housing near the driver side of the floor panel transmission tunnel and remove the duct from the housing.
  26. If the vehicle is equipped with the manual heating and air conditioning system, disconnect the vacuum harness connector located near the driver side of the floor panel transmission tunnel behind the driver side floor duct.
  27. Remove the one screw that secures the instrument panel steering column support bracket to the driver side end of the heater and air conditioner housing (INSTRUMENT PANEL TO HEATER-A/C HOUSING - DRIVER SIDE).
  28. Remove the one screw that secures the instrument panel steering column support bracket to the intermediate bracket on the driver side dash panel (INSTRUMENT PANEL TO INTERMEDIATE BRACKET MOUNTING).
  29. Remove the nut that secures the instrument panel steering column support bracket to the stud on the driver side cowl plenum panel (INSTRUMENT PANEL TO COWL PLENUM MOUNTING).
  30. Remove the two screws that secure the instrument panel to the driver side cowl side inner panel (INSTRUMENT PANEL TO DRIVER SIDE COWL SIDE INNER PANEL MOUNTING).
  31. Remove the end cap from the instrument panel. (Refer to 23 - BODY/INSTRUMENT PANEL/INSTRUMENT PANEL END CAP - REMOVAL).
  32. Remove the lower right center bezel from the instrument panel. (Refer to 23 - BODY/INSTRUMENT PANEL/IP LOWER RIGHT CENTER BEZEL - REMOVAL).
  33. Disconnect the instrument panel wire harness connector from the lower cavity of the inline connector on the passenger side cowl side inner panel (INSTRUMENT PANEL PASSENGER SIDE CONNECTION).
  34. Disconnect the two halves of the radio antenna coaxial cable connector near the right cowl side inner panel under the end of the instrument panel.
  35. Disconnect the two instrument panel wire harness connectors from the two heater and air conditioner housing connectors located near the blower motor on the passenger side end of the housing (HEATER AND AIR CONDITIONER HOUSING CONNECTIONS).
  36. Remove the two screws that secure the passenger side instrument panel structural duct to the heater and air conditioner housing (PASSENGER SIDE INSTRUMENT PANEL TO HEATER-A/C HOUSING MOUNTING).
  37. Remove the two screws that secure the instrument panel to the passenger side cowl side inner panel (INSTRUMENT PANEL TO PASSENGER SIDE COWL SIDE INNER PANEL MOUNTING ).
  38. With the aid of an assistant, lift the instrument panel assembly upward off of the studs on the dash panel near the windshield fence line and to disengage the molded plastic hook formations on the instrument panel structural duct from the guide holes at each cowl side inner panel.
  39. Pull the instrument panel rearward from the dash panel and the cowl side inner panels and remove it through the driver side front door of the vehicle.

80ecbb04

1 - COWL PLENUM PANEL
2 - JUNCTION BLOCK
3 - INSTRUMENT PANEL STEERING COLUMN SUPPORT BRACKET
4 - NUT
5 - STUD

Experience: 32yr ASE Master Tech, 9yr Chrysler Master Tech, 19 yr Jeep Dealership service including AMC/Eagle
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
This is GREAT! Very helpful. I will definately give you a positive feedback.

I might need some additional info re: lowering & detaching the steering column.(??)
1 - COLUMN MOUNTING NUTS
2 - COUPLER BOLT

You can just lower it to the floor without disconnecting the coupler that connects it to the steering shaft; also doing it this way, you can avoid unhooking all the electrical connectors.