vipertech
vipertech, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Jeep factory certified technican

I have a 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee. 6 cylinder. Oil pressure

Customer Question

I have a 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee. 6 cylinder. Oil pressure reading high (around 80 PSI at highway speed). Odd thing is by just turning on ignition, engine cold, oil pressure reads about 40 Psi without the engine running. I don't think you can remove the sender to check pressure, engine won't start.
Any thoughts??????????
Category: Jeep
Expert:  vipertech replied 4 years ago.

Good afternoon, actually on this vehicle you can remove the oil pressure sending unit and check the pressure. This is the first step that I recommend. The issue will most likely be sending unit, wiring, engine controller (pcm) or cluster (guage). Check to see if there is oil in the connector for the sending unit, if so then replace the sending unit for leaking at the connector side. The engine should not read oil pressure when the engine is off which points towards being an electrical issue. You can disconnect the sending unit as well and see if the reading with the key on...engine not running, changes. If it goes to zero then I recommend replacing the sending unit as well.

Here are the specs for the oil pressure when checking it with an external oil pressure guage:

SPECIFICATION SPECIFICATION
At Curb Idle Speed* 89.6 kPa (13 psi)
@ 1600 and Higher Rpm 255 - 517 kPa (37 - 75 psi)

As mentioned, you have to remove the sending unit inorder to hook up the external guage. It has no effect on it starting or running.

If replacing it has no change then you will need a scanner that can access the pcm and cluster to see what each one is reading as far as oil pressure and go from there.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX to start engine with electrical connection unplugged from sender. Engine would not start. I assume that a oil pressure signal needs to be generated and sent to cpu as a safety precaution, no oil pressure ...no start. That is why I suspect if I remove the sender to connect external oil gauge, the engine will sense no pressure and will not start. If I remember correctly ...ignition on, engine not running, reads 40psi whether electrical connector to sender is plugged in or not. I have access to a pressure gauge to check actual pressure, just don't think engine will start with sender out and sensing no oil pressure???
Expert:  vipertech replied 4 years ago.

I have never had this issue with not starting when checking oil pressure on a 4.0 liter jeep engine....which sounds strange. The service manual states to disconnect connector, remove sending unit, install guage and observe pressure readings. If disconnecting the sending unit makes no difference then I dont believe you need to worry about the sending unit or the oil pressure test. It sounds like its an electrical issue. My feelings are towards the instrument cluster.

I want you to try the cluster self test and pay attention to the oil pressure guage during the self test to see what it does as compared to the other guages.

ACTUATOR TEST

WARNING: ON VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH AIRBAGS, DISABLE THE AIRBAG SYSTEM BEFORE ATTEMPTING ANY STEERING WHEEL, STEERING COLUMN, OR INSTRUMENT PANEL COMPONENT DIAGNOSIS OR SERVICE. DISCONNECT AND ISOLATE THE BATTERY NEGATIVE (GROUND) CABLE, THEN WAIT TWO MINUTES FOR THE AIRBAG SYSTEM CAPACITOR TO DISCHARGE BEFORE PERFORMING FURTHER DIAGNOSIS OR SERVICE. THIS IS THE ONLY SURE WAY TO DISABLE THE AIRBAG SYSTEM. FAILURE TO TAKE THE PROPER PRECAUTIONS COULD RESULT IN ACCIDENTAL AIRBAG DEPLOYMENT AND POSSIBLE PERSONAL INJURY.

The instrument cluster actuator test will put the instrument cluster into its self-diagnostic mode. In this mode the instrument cluster can perform a self-diagnostic test that will confirm that the instrument cluster circuitry, the gauges, and the PCI data bus message controlled indicator lamps are capable of operating as designed. During the actuator test the instrument cluster circuitry will sweep each of the gauge needles across the gauge faces, illuminate each of the segments in the Vacuum-Fluorescent Display (VFD), and turn all of the PCI data bus message-controlled lamps on and off.

Successful completion of the actuator test will confirm that the instrument cluster is operational. However, there may still be a problem with the PCI data bus, the Airbag Control Module (ACM), the Body Control Module (BCM), the Controller Anti-lock Brake (CAB), the Sentry Key Immobilizer Module (SKIM), or the inputs to one of these electronic control modules. Use a DRBIII® scan tool to diagnose these components. Refer to the appropriate diagnostic information.

If an individual gauge does not respond properly, or does not respond at all during the actuator test, the instrument cluster should be removed. However, check that the mounting tabs securing the inoperative gauge or gauge set to the instrument cluster electronic circuit board are properly installed and making good contact with the instrument cluster electronic circuit board before considering gauge replacement. If the gauge mounting tabs check OK, replace the faulty gauge or gauge set.

If an individual indicator lamp does not illuminate during the actuator test, the instrument cluster should be removed. However, check that the incandescent lamp bulb is not faulty and that the bulb holder is properly installed on the instrument cluster electronic circuit board before considering instrument cluster housing and circuit board replacement. If the bulb and bulb holder check OK, replace the faulty instrument cluster housing and circuit board unit.

If any or all segments of the VFD fail to illuminate during the actuator test, the VFD or the instrument cluster electronic circuit board is faulty or damaged. The instrument cluster housing and circuit board unit must be replaced.

The instrument cluster will automatically exit the self-diagnostic mode and return to normal operation at the completion of the test, if the ignition switch is turned to the Off position during the test, or if a vehicle speed message indicating that the vehicle is moving is received from the PCM over the PCI data bus during the test.

• Begin the test with the ignition switch in the Off position.
  • Depress the odometer/trip odometer switch button.
  • While still holding the odometer/trip odometer switch button depressed, turn the ignition switch to the On position, but do not start the engine.
  • Release the odometer/trip odometer switch button.
  • Monitor the operation of the suspect gauge(s) and/or indicator lamp(s).
  •  

Depending on the self test results....you may need to access the PCM to see what the actual oil pressure readings is and compare it to the cluster. If different, then the cluster will need to be replaced.

vipertech, ASE Certified Technician
    Experience: Jeep factory certified technican
    Customer: replied 4 years ago.
    Hi, did the Cluster test. Oil pressure gage goes from one extreme to the other during test (0-80 PSI ) after test gage goes to about mid scale until vehicle is started then it shoots up to near 80psi.
    Expert:  vipertech replied 4 years ago.

Getting the PCM readings using the scanner are important to see what the PCM is reading from the oil pressure sending unit.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Really appreciate all the help. Got the pressure gage. Going to test actual oil pressure tomorrow. If proper I will probably just ignore the gage for time being. Just a utility vehicle anyway to haul my model airplanes in. Just need to know oil pressure is not really that high,if it is need to get it to shop.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX let you know the outcome....Best, Don

Expert:  vipertech replied 4 years ago.
    I will keep an eye out for your reply.