Ask Don 'Mo Lurch' Your Own Que...

Don 'Mo Lurch'
Don 'Mo Lurch', Mechanic
Experience:  Chrysler Warnty, Heavy Line Mech, Mobile Electronics. Sales, Installation & Repair for 30 years

how do I disable the factory alarm on my 1993 jeep grand cherokee

how do I disable the factory alarm on my 1993 jeep grand cherokee? I broke the key off in the ignition and the alarm is set.The car starts for 2 seconds and runs out of fuel.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Don 'Mo Lurch' replied 4 years ago.

Unlocking Driver Door, Rear Hatch with Key or Unlocking Doors with Remote should DisArm.
OR
Locate the VIOLET / YELLOW wire in the Driver Kick Panel / Door Boot.
Connect one endo of a piece of wire to the VIOLET / YELLOW wire.
Connect the other end of the piece of wire to Ground (chassis)
This will DisArm the Factory Alarm until the wire is removed.

If you can start the Engine, remove the VTSS Relay located in the Glove Box Relay Center "only" while the Engine is Running.
This will DisAble the Factory Alarm

graphic

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok I understand how to disable the alarm,and I will go and do this,but I would like to know one more thing about this alarm. If the alarm is active does it stop fuel to the engine? I spray carb/choke cleaner and the engine runs I installed a new fuel pump and it is working.I can hear it turn on. If I am able to disable the alarm from the violet and yellow wire under the kick pannel will the fule flow again?

Yes.......the Fuel is shut down:
When an unauthorized entry into the vehicle occurs, the VTA module sends a message via the CCD bus to the engine controller that it is not OK to start the engine. The engine controller then zeroes out the pulse width to the fuel injectors after the engine has been started, thus shutting down the engine (start and stall condition).

Alarm Reset Procedure

NOTE: This information applies to a Vehicle Theft Security System (VTSS) that was armed when the battery was disconnected and reconnected.

When the armed VTSS senses that the battery has been disconnected and reconnected, it enters its power-up mode. In the power-up mode the alarm system remains armed following a battery failure or disconnect. If the VTSS was armed prior to a battery disconnect or failure, the system will have to be actively or passively disarmed following a battery reconnection.

The power-up mode will also apply if the battery goes dead while the system is armed and battery jump-starting is attempted. The engine no-run feature will prevent the engine from starting until the alarm system has been actively or passively disarmed.

Passive disarming of the Vehicle Theft Security System (VTSS) occurs when the vehicle is unlocked using the key to unlock either front door or the liftgate. Active disarming of the VTSS occurs when the vehicle is unlocked by depressing the Unlock button of the Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) transmitter.

Once the alarm has been activated (horn sounding, lights flashing, and the engine no-run feature), either disarming method will deactivate the alarm.

Depressing the Panic button (if equipped) on the RKE transmitter will also disarm the VTSS, but the horn will sound and the lights will flash for about three minutes as part of the Panic feature. The horn and lights can be stopped by pressing any of the RKE transmitter's buttons or driving the vehicle above 15 mph.

Don 'Mo Lurch', Mechanic
Experience: Chrysler Warnty, Heavy Line Mech, Mobile Electronics. Sales, Installation & Repair for 30 years