Matt Hardy
Matt Hardy, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Auto Tech, ASE L1, Jeep/Chrysler Dealer Tech, 18 yrs exp
24870662

Ignition Coil located on 96 Grand Cherokee 6 cylinder 4x4?

Where is the ignition Coil located on 96 Grand Cherokee 6 cylinder 4x4?
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Matt Hardy replied 5 years ago.

When you are looking at the side of the engine where the distributor is, the ignition coil is located to the right of the distributor, bolted to the engine block. You can follow the ignition cable from the distributor cap to the coil.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Matt; What do you thin my problem is?

The most common no-start problems on Grand Cherokee are the fuel pump and the crankshaft position sensor.

Does the engine start at all? Did it run before you began replacing parts?

Allow me to re-phrase the question...are you saying that it was running (but cutting off) and then you replaced the cam sensor, and now it won't start at all?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I'm sorry Matt, I replaced the Crankshaft position sensor. Its turning, just Wo'nt start. It was running just before I changed the Crankshaft position sensor, I allowed it to idle run in my driveway after it cut off while I was driving. I got it started again and drove straight to Auto Zone where it was diagnosed with a bad CKP sensor, Came home and it cut off while idling in the driveway. It has never started since. I went ahead and replaced the sensor and it would'nt start. Thats when I replaced the distributor cap and rotor. still Wo'nt start, then I replaced the fuel filter, still Wo'nt start.

OK...let's do some diagnosis...

Turn the key on, and see if the volt gauge and the fuel gauge on the dash are working normally.

Let me know.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes the gauges are working.

Another thing I would like you to check:

Your Jeep should have (2) oxygen sensors.

Inspect the rear oxygen sensor (after the catalytic converter) and make sure the wiring is not rubbing on the rear driveshaft.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I just checked the oxygen sensor wiring and they are not touching or rubbing the rear driveshaft.

OK, are you able to check for spark without getting zapped?

I would check for spark on the ignition cable coming from the coil to the distributor.

Let me know if you are not sure how to do this.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I pulled the wire running from the coil to the distributor letting the open end of the wire hang over the distributor wire connector and I did not observe any spark. I also reverse the process by taking the ignition coil wire off and still did not observe any spark.

Stick a screwdriver in the end of coil wire, and position the screwdriver in such a way that there is a small gap (1/4 inch or so) between the screwdriver metal and the metal of the engine block.

The other end of the wire should still be attached to the ignition coil, of course. This is a better test, because the engine block is a good ground.

Crank the engine over and check for spark.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I did the screwdriver test and still did not observe any spark. Its pretty dark outside and did'nt see any spark.

OK...I need to get off the computer pretty soon here...would you like to continue this in the morning?

I will give you a few more things to check:

Use a test light to check for power to the ignition coil while cranking. Unplug the 2-wire connector to check.

The other wire should have blinking ground while cranking.

It is possible the ignition coil is faulty...it's kind of rare, but it is possible.

Another possibility is the crank sensor you installed is faulty, or it is not adjusted correctly.

Look at the old crank sensor...the hole where the bolt goes through...is the hole circular, or elongated?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

The hole on the sensor is a circle. Old one and the new one is exact. I also think it could be the coil but do you think the fuel pump is bad?

That tells me the crank sensor is the non-adjustable type, so it is probably OK.

The easy way to check for bad fuel pump: spray some carb spray or intake cleaner spray into the throttle body and crank the engine. If it starts, or tries to start, then you have a lack of fuel, which usually means the fuel pump is faulty.

I am concerned about the lack of spark.

The best test is to connect a fuel pressure gauge to the fuel rail.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks Matt; You were very thorough and Professional. I really appreciate your help and advise. THANKS AGAIN

You are welcome!

I will check back in the morning.

Any luck so far? I was thinking about your problem this morning. Another possibility is the engine computer is not controlling the igniton coil properly.

This is a common problem, but it is usually intermittent...normally does not cause a true no-start.

I would like to know the fault code that AutoZone retrieved.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Good Morning Matt; Thank God for another Blessed Day. Matt I'm Going to purchase the coil, being that there was no fire observed during our last test. I'll be leaving to make that purchase in approx. 30 minutes. Hopefully I'll be able to contact you once I replace the coil.
I will be here.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks
10-4
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
How's it going Matt; Well I replaced the coil and it still did the same, Wo'nt crank. So I decided to start all over agan and I took the crankshaft position off and put it back on and tried to start it and it cranked up, Thank God. I'm not sure if I installed the sensor wrong the first time or if it were a combination of problems but, its running. I know I could not have done it without your supervision and guidance. I really appreciate your help THANK YOU.

Glad to hear that you got it running.

I'll be around if you have questions in the future.

Thanks for letting me know.

Please click 'accept' so I can get credit for my answers.

Matt Hardy, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE Master Auto Tech, ASE L1, Jeep/Chrysler Dealer Tech, 18 yrs exp