Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience:  30 YRS EXPERIENCE, FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DEISEL
17454363

I have a 2005 Jeep Liberty 2.8 Diesel. After setting it has

Customer Question

I have a 2005 Jeep Liberty 2.8 Diesel. After setting it has extended crank time or will not start. After driving it will loose power and sometimes die. Code p0093 is stored for large fuel leak. CP3 pump was replaced along with revised filter housing which did not help. Any ideas would help. Information for this engine has been limited.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 4 years ago.
Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX you checked rail pressure when it is cold?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
hi my name is XXXXX XXXXX im the tech working on this vehicle. Our modis scanner is not capable of scanning this system but i have a simple bluepoint scanner that will. fuel rail pressure while cranking will reach 3,000 to 4,000 psi. i believe weve fixed the starting issue but after the vehicle warms up it looses all power under full throttle and the rail pressure drops to maybe 9,000 psi under full throttle. Then the vehicle will set the code. if u let the vehicle sit and idle for aprox five minutes it will run normal for a few minutes.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Just making sure you got the Reply from Chris
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 4 years ago.
Waht code did you pull out of this? and 3000 is not enough rail pressure to fire the injectors successfully, you need about 6500,Tim
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 4 years ago.
will your scanner let you see the fuel pressure set point? and is it close to the actual pressure?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

My scanner will not allow me to see the desired pressures only the actual pressure and the code was a P0093. the vehicle was a no start when it came in now after installing the new cp3 pump and filter housing the vehicle starts everytime but still has the extended crank issue and the power issue

Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 4 years ago.
I am not showing a P093 code, but it sounds like you have a bad fuel control solenoid, this will cause a low pressure and a long cranking time, you need a scanner to see the set points and actual pressure to verify this, but the control solenoid is a common problem, especially with the low pressures,Tim
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The Fuel control solenoid came with the new Fuel pump assembley
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 4 years ago.
the high pressure control solenoid is not on the fuel pump, it is on the fuel rail, the fuel quantity solenoid is on the cp3, this is a different solenoid,Tim
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I assume this is the solenoid on the back of the fuel rail. The pressure senser is in the middle ? I think I can borrow a DRB scanner that we can get the pressure readings. Can the regulator be unplugged to test ? We do still have a very extended crank time. probably 15-20 seconds before it fires up.
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 4 years ago.
Yes, it is on the rail, check the set point and the actual pressure, if the actual is alot lower then the set, then suspect the fuel solenoid,Tim
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Tim,

Just wanted to let you know what fixed this starting issue. I did some more research and found a quick test to see if the fuel pressure control solenoid was actually bad. Yes the actual rail pressure was alot lower than commanded. You can remove the return line from the solenoid and while cranking should not return any fuel. If it does and you have low pressure the solenoid would then be suspect. Mine was not leaking so I decided to cap off fuel injectors like we do on the 5.9 common rail cummins one at a time and try to start and check pressure. When I got to #4 injector the pressure went up instantly and did not bleed down as fast. The engine started right up and ran after setting over night.. Replaced the bad injector and it started perfectly the next morning at 5 degrees above zero.

Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 4 years ago.
Glad you got it fixed, low rail pressure is always the first to check on these. we dont see alot of the injectors returning on these like we do the cummins common rails,Tim