jazzmaster
jazzmaster, ASE Certified Tech
Experience:  ase certified--32 yrs experience

2002 grand cherokee: dash..take it out to remove the heater core

i am tryng to remove the dash on my 2002 grand cherokee
all the bolt are remov but it is still stuck in th middle and i don't see any bolt . ineed the take it out to remove the heater core
Category: Jeep
Expert:  jazzmaster replied 4 years ago.
Notes
hi,here is the procedure for the dash removel...guy...

INSTRUMENT PANEL ASSEMBLY

REMOVAL

WARNING: ON VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH AIRBAGS, DISABLE THE AIRBAG SYSTEM BEFORE ATTEMPTING ANY STEERING WHEEL, STEERING COLUMN, OR INSTRUMENT PANEL COMPONENT DIAGNOSIS OR SERVICE. DISCONNECT AND ISOLATE THE BATTERY NEGATIVE (GROUND) CABLE, THEN WAIT TWO MINUTES FOR THE AIRBAG SYSTEM CAPACITOR TO DISCHARGE BEFORE PERFORMING FURTHER DIAGNOSIS OR SERVICE. THIS IS THE ONLY SURE WAY TO DISABLE THE AIRBAG SYSTEM. FAILURE TO TAKE THE PROPER PRECAUTIONS COULD RESULT IN ACCIDENTAL AIRBAG DEPLOYMENT AND POSSIBLE PERSONAL INJURY.

NOTE: Before starting this procedure, be certain to turn the steering wheel until the front wheels are in the straight-ahead position.

1. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable.
  2. Remove the trim from the right and left A-pillars. (Refer to Trim Panel).
  3. Remove the top cover.

Fig. 23

1. Remove the four nuts that secure the instrument panel to the studs on the dash panel near the windshield fence line (Fig. 23).
  2. Remove the scuff plates from the right and left front door sills.
  3. Remove the trim panels from the right and left inner cowl sides.
  4. Remove the console from the floor panel transmission tunnel.
  5. Remove the fuse cover from the junction block (JB).
  6. Remove the cluster bezel.
  7. Remove the steering column opening cover.
  8. Remove the steering column bracket from the instrument panel steering column support bracket.

Fig. 24

1. Remove the screw that secures the lower tilting steering column shroud to the steering column multi-function switch mounting housing (Fig. 24).
  2. Unsnap the two halves of the tilting steering column shroud from each other and remove both halves from the steering column.

Fig. 25

1. Disconnect the instrument panel wire harness connectors from the following steering column components (Fig. 25):
    • the two lower clockspring connector receptacles
    • the left multi-function switch connector receptacle
    • the right multi-function switch connector receptacle
    • the two ignition switch connector receptacles - the shifter interlock solenoid connector receptacle
    • if equipped, the sentry key immobilizer module (SKIM) connector receptacle.
  1. Turn the ignition switch to the On position, then release and remove the shifter interlock cable connector from the ignition lock housing receptacle.
  2. Turn the ignition switch back to the Lock position to prevent steering wheel rotation and the loss of clockspring centering following steering column removal.

Fig. 26

1. Remove the bolt that secures the coupler to the lower steering column shaft (Fig. 26).
  2. Remove the four nuts that secure the steering column to the studs on the instrument panel steering column support bracket.
  3. Remove the steering column from the instrument panel. Be certain that the steering wheel is locked and secured from rotation to prevent the loss of clockspring centering.

Fig. 27

1. Disconnect the left and right body wire harness connectors, the ignition off draw (IOD) wire harness connector and the fused B(+) wire harness connector from the connector receptacles of the JB (Fig. 27).

Fig. 28

1. Disconnect the instrument panel wire harness connectors from the following floor panel transmission tunnel components (Fig. 28): - the airbag control module (ACM) connector receptacle - the park brake switch terminal - the transmission shifter connector receptacle.
  2. Remove the two nuts that secure the instrument panel wire harness ground eyelets to the studs on the floor panel transmission tunnel in front of and behind the ACM.
  3. Disengage the retainers that secure the instrument panel wire harness to the floor panel transmission tunnel.
  4. Remove the instrument panel to center floor tunnel bracket from the instrument panel and the floor panel transmission tunnel.
  5. Remove the one screw that secures the floor duct to the heater and air conditioner housing near the driver side of the floor panel transmission tunnel and remove the duct from the housing.
  6. If the vehicle is equipped with the manual heating and air conditioning system, disconnect the vacuum harness connector located near the driver side of the floor panel transmission tunnel behind the driver side floor duct.

Fig. 29

1. Remove the one screw that secures the instrument panel steering column support bracket to the driver side end of the heater and air conditioner housing (Fig. 29).

Fig. 30

1. Remove the one screw that secures the instrument panel steering column support bracket to the intermediate bracket on the driver side dash panel (Fig. 30).

Fig. 31

1. Remove the nut that secures the instrument panel steering column support bracket to the stud on the driver side cowl plenum panel (Fig. 31).

Fig. 32

1. Remove the nut and disconnect the safety strap from the support bracket. (Fig. 32)

Fig. 33

1. Remove the two screws that secure the instrument panel to the driver side cowl side inner panel (Fig. 33).
  2. Remove the end cap.
  3. Remove the lower right center bezel.
  4. Remove the glove box.

Fig. 34

1. Disconnect the instrument panel wire harness connector from the lower cavity of the inline connector on the passenger side cowl side inner panel (Fig. 34).
  2. Disconnect the two halves of the radio antenna coaxial cable connector near the right cowl side inner panel under the end of the instrument panel.

Fig. 35

1. Disconnect the two instrument panel wire harness connectors from the two heater and air conditioner housing connectors located near the blower motor on the passenger side end of the housing (Fig. 35).

Fig. 36

1. Remove the two screws that secure the passenger side instrument panel structural duct to the heater and air conditioner housing (Fig. 36).

Fig. 37

1. Remove the two screws that secure the instrument panel to the passenger side cowl side inner panel (Fig. 37).

Fig. 38

1. Depress the tab on the passenger side and with the aid of an assistant, lift the instrument panel assembly upward off of the studs on the dash panel near the windshield fence line and pull the instrument panel rearward from the dash panel and the cowl side inner panels and remove it through the driver side front door of the vehicle. (Fig. 38
jazzmaster, ASE Certified Tech
Experience: ase certified--32 yrs experience
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
hi again internet was down for a minute can i tak out tha dash board by lowering the steering colum instead of take it put?
yes that is a shortcut,just put the seat back as far as it goes ....guy....
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Guy

i am still working on my jeep to remove the heater core

i will lower the steering colum (thanks for the advice) do i need to unplug all the wire from the steering colum

and do you have another shortcut?

on many model we can move the dash away just enough to remove the havc unit

Thanks

Gilbert

no, you do not have to remove everything,I will usually remove what is necessary to get at the heater core ,some cars yes but in this case remove what you need to get at the heater core ...guy