Vladgmru
Vladgmru, Automotive Electrician
Experience:  I've been working with American made cars since 1992.
12883947

91 jeep wrangler: cracked exhaust manifold 2 days..idling..wont start

91 jeep wrangler 2.5. changed out a cracked exhaust manifold 2 days ago.ran great when done.yesterday while engine was idling it quit running like it was out of gas.not out of gas wont start now.engine cranks but wont fire.plugs wires ect new.filter new.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Vladgmru replied 4 years ago.
HelloCustomer
Thanks for choosing JustAnswer.
My name is Vladimir.
I have a question, please reply in this thread.
1) Is there a spark from the ignition coil when you crank the engine?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
having trouble finding accept
Expert:  Vladgmru replied 4 years ago.
You will find an "accept" button when I post an answer.
I need more infromation to give you a correct answer, so please let me know if you get spark from any ignition wire.
Thanks.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i was yesterday. it was running fine
Expert:  Vladgmru replied 4 years ago.
I do understand that everything was OK before the exhaust manifold replacing.
Now you Wrangler cranks but does not start and I have to know if it has a spark .
Could you answer my question please?
Is there a spark from the ignition coil or from any ignition cable?
Thanks.

Edited by Vladgmru on 11/15/2009 at 6:33 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes
Expert:  Vladgmru replied 4 years ago.
So,
Your starter cranks the engine, it gets fire to the spark plugs and you also get fuel to the injectors, but it does not run? Is it right?
Have you actually checked for spark while somebody cranks the engine?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
just did
Expert:  Vladgmru replied 4 years ago.
Sir,
I would like to give you a complete and correct answer, I don't want to mislead you.
I can't actually test your vehicle, so I can just rely on what you are saying.
I am asking you questions, but you are not giving me complete answers.
You do not need to harry up, please read my question carefully and give as much as possible information.
So,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
this is right.fire at plugs fuel at injectors
Expert:  Vladgmru replied 4 years ago.
If engine gets fire to plugs and fuel to injectors it has to start unless it has a mechanical problem ( compression or timing issue) and that seems very strange to me.
Since you was working with the exhaust manifold and the problem arose after this work, I can suppose you have somehow disturbed a crankshaft sensor wiring harness.
The crank sensor wiring harness could have touched the exhaust down pipe that is hot enough to melt the sensor wires.
What is strange here ( if this is the case), is that you have spark.
Anyway, please inspect the crank sensor wiring harness and connector, make sure it is not resting on the exhaust.
Please let me know about your findings and we will continue troubleshooting.
graphic
Vladgmru, Automotive Electrician
Experience: I've been working with American made cars since 1992.