sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

2005 Jeep Liberty Sport: brake light..three bulbs : turn signal..fuses

Customer Question

2005 Jeep Liberty Sport: How to change rear brake light?

I have the housing off but only see three bulbs : turn signal, reverse light, and running light. Where is the bulb for the break light.

All rear lights are working but the break light: fuses are stil good.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 5 years ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

The brake light and turn signal use the same bulb. Try swapping out the brake/turn bulb with a new one or one from the other side of the Jeep and see if it works. If it doesn't work then you either have a problem with wiring on the Jeep or there is a problem with the circuit board between the electrical connector and the bulb itself. We can get it figured out if we need to if you have a voltmeter or test light to do some testing.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Both turn signals are working. I will have to get a test light and check connector to the tailight housing right?

Swap the turn/brake light bulb out with another one first just in case. I want to make sure we have a known good bulb in that spot already, there are two filaments in these bulbs. While the bulb is out take a good look at the terminals that it engages. Look for any corrosion or burnt spots from a previous poor connection. If you get a good bulb in it and the terminals look good but it still won't light, then we'll get into some electrical testing with a light or a meter and get the problem figured out.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i have replaced both turn/brake light bulbs with new ones earlier today and the terminal where fine, but neither the left or right rear brake light worked. I pulled the housing plug to look and see if that look arlight and everything looked good there. the center-mounted break light above the rear glass does work however.

Ok, if neither brake light works that's a completely different issue. I thought you had one light not working. Be sure that you've checked fuses in both panels, the one under the hood and the one in the dash. If the fuses are good then we'd definitely need a test light to continue and come to a sure conclusion, but you may need a brake light switch. This is located on the pedal bracket assembly above the pedals. It has a plunger that contacts the pedal that opens and closes the switch contacts as you press and release the brake. The thrid brake light is on a seperate circuit from the other two brake lights, the reason it can work and not the others. If you've got a test light we can test the brake switch before you replace it.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have finally been able to get a test light after being out of town for a couple days. Is the switch the little white box with the plunger, and were can i get access to check the if it is working with the test light?
That's the one! First check for power on the white/tan wire while pressing the brake. Let me know what you find and we'll go from there. I'm at work this afternoon, so if you reply back there may be a delay before I can get back to you. I'll respond as quick as I can!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I checked the switch and it is working fine. but still no break lights? what is next.

Pull either one of the rear lamp housings, find the white/tan wire there and see if it powers up when you press the brake.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
There power coming from both lamp housing connections. icluding brake, rerse and turn signal terminals. could it be the housings themselve both at the same time?
It could be. Find the solid black wire and see if it's grounded. If the wire is grounded then you do need lamp housings. One may have stopped working before the other, it would definitely be odd if they both stopped at the same time!
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I finally got them to work the new bulbs i just put in the other day had already gone bad, not sure if i shorted them out or something when i was working on the car. I just bought two more new bulbs and put them in and they worked.
Excellent, I'm glad to hear it!