brownjeff
brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  17 years experience, ASE certified, dealership certified, Service Manager for 15 years,
11021861

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland: I turn left I..drivers side..tire

I have a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland. When I turn left I hear a rubbing noise on the rear driver's side. I had someone else drive and listened and it didnt seem to be the tire rubbing. Any suggestions or common issues?
Does the noise change when braking?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I am not sure because I am usually turning left from a stop but I can try. I took it to a parking lot and was easilly able to recreate it by turning almost completely left and going about 5 to 10 MPH. It seems to be when I am making a sharp left. Only on the left side. I am unable to recreate it on the right side. The truck is spotless with newer tires and by looking at the internals there is no rust or weathering.
The noise does seem to be coming from the wheel area correct?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
yes, the driver's side rear wheel on a sharp left turn.
If the brake doesn't change the noise then the most likely cause is the axle bearing.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
What if the brake doesnt change the noise?
If the brake doesn't change the noise it is most likely the axle bearing. If the brake changes the noise then inspect the brakes for anything that is worn or rubbing such as the backing plate.