Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

2005 Grand Cherokee: The diagnostic..engine oil..circuit..Brake switch

The diagnostic on my 2005 Grand Cherokee show a code P0520 (engine oil pressure sensor/switch circuit) and a stored code P0571 (Brake switch). Are either of these critical. It will probably be two weeks before I can get it in to be repaired?

Neither are extremely critical, but there are a couple of things to watch for between now and getting the repairs done.

With the oil pressure sensor not operating properly, you need to pay extra attention to both the oil level in the engine, and for any unusual noises such as valve rattle. This is because you may not get a correct pressure reading to know if engine oil level is low, or if oil pump is not operating properly and suffering from loss of oil pressure(which would show up as valve rattle, or even lower end rod knock).

With the brake switch, you need to make sure your brake lights are working, as well as them not staying on. You also will likely have no cruise control until this is repaired