Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.

How difficult is it to replace rear brakes on a 1992 jeep cherokee?

how difficult is it to replace rear brakes on a 1992 jeep cherokee?
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.

Below is a step by step set of directions on replacing the rear brakes. If you have never done rear brake shoes before, figure 45minutes per side. My best advice is to have both tires and rear drums removed at same time, and replace one side at a time so you have the other side as a pattern to view so that you know you have all the springs in their right place. I also advise replacing the hardware(springs and clips) at the same time as they are most likely worn. Hardware kit cost about $12 for yours

Removal & Installation

See Figures 1 through 15

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 1: Use a brake cleaner to clean the brake surfaces

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 2: Using a brake tool, remove the return spring from the anchor pin

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 3: Remove the return spring and the adjuster cable guide

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 4: Remove the adjuster cable

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 5: Remove the shoe guide plate

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 6: Disengage the hold-down spring retainers from the hold-down pins

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 7: Remove the hold-down springs and pins

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 8: Pull the shoes apart and then ...

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 9: ... remove the parking brake strut and spring

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 10: Remove the shoes from the backing plate

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 11: Disengage the parking brake cable

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 12: Lubricate the shoe contact points-10 inch drum brake backing plate shown

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 13: Adjusting the gauge to fit the brake drum

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 14: Adjust the brake shoes to fit the gauge

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 15: Adjusting the drum brakes using a brake spoon

CAUTION Brake shoes may contain asbestos, which has been determined to be a cancer causing agent. Never clean the brake surfaces with compressed air! Avoid inhaling any dust from any brake surface! When cleaning brake surfaces, use a commercially available brake cleaning fluid.

A brake spring removal tool and a brake adjusting gauge are required for this procedure.

1. Raise and support the vehicle safely with jackstands.
  2. If the brakes have never been serviced before, the drums will be held on the wheel studs with spring nuts. Remove the spring nuts and discard.
  3. Turn the adjustment starwheel so that the brake shoes are retracted from the brake drum and remove the brake drum.
  4. Install wheel cylinder clamps to retain the wheel cylinder pistons in place and prevent leakage of brake fluid while replacing the shoes.
  5. Remove the U-clip and washer securing the adjuster cable to the parking brake lever.
  6. Remove the adjuster cable, cable guide, adjuster lever and adjuster springs. Remove the return springs with a brake spring remover tool.
  7. Remove the hold-down retainers and springs, then remove the brake shoes.

To install:

1. Clean the backing plate with a brush or cloth. Place a dab of Lubriplate® on each spot where the brake shoes rub on the backing plate.

Always replace brake linings in axle sets. Never replace linings on one side or just on one wheel.

1. Thoroughly clean and lubricate the adjuster cable guides, adjuster screw and pivot, parking brake lever and lever pivot pin with multi-purpose grease.
  2. Apply a thin coat of multi-purpose chassis lube to the mounting pads on the backing plate.
  3. Transfer the parking brake actuating lever to the new secondary shoe.
  4. Position the brake shoes on the backing plate, then install the hold-down springs and retainers. Don't forget to engage the parking brake lever with the cable.
  5. Install the parking brake actuating bar and spring between the parking brake lever and primary shoe.
  6. Install the self-adjusting cable, cable guide and upper return springs.
  7. Thoroughly clean the starwheel and lightly lubricate the threads with lithium based grease.
  8. Install the starwheel.
  9. Install the self-adjusting cam and lower spring. A big pair of locking pliers is good for this job.
  10. Check the surface of the brake shoes for any grease that may have gotten on them. If dirty, lightly clean with a piece of sandpaper.
  11. Adjust the brakes, install the brake drum and wheel. Lower the vehicle and test drive.
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience: 20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.

Was there something in the directions you were not sure of? this is not a free site, it is a paysite that you agreed to pay for correct answer, which has been provided. Please click the accept button so that I am paid for my time.