moparfl
moparfl, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech Chrysler Dodge Jeep Master Tech

Jeep Commander: wont start..Both keys good, battery good, key

Customer Question

Jeep Commander 2008 won't start. Both keys good, battery good, key in ignition beep comes on but nothing else, not lights not turn over try
Category: Jeep
Expert:  moparfl replied 4 years ago.
Try moving the shifter in and out a park a few times and try it. also try it in netural and see if that makes any differance and let me know?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Tried it but it will not move out of park.its the new style shifter. i've read on line and best guess i can find is a blown starter circuit board if that helps. When you turn the key the dashboard lights do not come on and the only electric is the beeping from key in the ignition. Absolutely nothing else happens.
Expert:  moparfl replied 4 years ago.
You either have a blown fuse or a bad battery or bad connition on the battery.
moparfl, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE Master Tech Chrysler Dodge Jeep Master Tech
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Do you know how to locate the fuse? We've been through several but can't seem to find it. It will cost us over $500 to tow the vehicle due to our unique location so we're hoping to do what we can. Our experience trying to get re-imbursed for towing after ball joint failure on two 2005 Dodge Durangos was not positive.
Expert:  moparfl replied 4 years ago.
This could be any one of the main power fuses. The fact that you cant take it out of park tells me that you dont have any power to the inner lock system to the shifter.Did you have any other problem brfore this happened?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
We rent the vehicles so none that we are aware of but people don't always tell us. They drove back to our lot got out & gave us the key. We got in minutes later and zippo. Haven't been able to get it moved. We've tried wiggiling and re-inserting relays but that hasn't done anything and the 'look' okay. The remote key feature on the keys works. Let us know if you think of any tricks to narrow it down. THanks, XXXXX XXXXX a great service!
Expert:  moparfl replied 4 years ago.
You also have fuses inside of your Jeep as well as the ones under the hood you will need to check these as well they are in the juction block. I will send you the info on where they are at.
Expert:  moparfl replied 4 years ago.

DESCRIPTION

An electrical Junction Block (JB) is concealed beneath the driver side of the instrument panel in the passenger compartment of the vehicle. The JB is accessed by pulling down on the steering column opening cover (2) exposing the lower steering column and portions of the instrument panel wiring harness. The JB combines the functions previously provided by a separate fuseblock module and relay center. The JB serves to simplify and centralize numerous electrical components, as well as to distribute electrical current to many of the accessory systems in the vehicle. It also eliminates the need for numerous splice connections. The JB houses blade-type mini fuses, blade-type automatic resetting circuit breakers and International Standards Organization (ISO) relays.

The molded plastic JB housing is secured with four screws and two snap retainers to the JB mounting bracket behind the instrument panel steering column opening cover (3). The steering column opening cover can be pulled downward to disengage the latches and provide service access to all of the fuses, relays and wire harness connectors (1) of the JB. Refer to Steering Column Opening Cover in Body for additional service information.

The JB contains six relays that are integral to the housing assembly. The relays cannot be replaced separately. If any of the relays are diagnosed inoperative or damaged the complete JB unit must be replaced. The six relays are:

1. Lock relay
  2. Unlock relay
  3. Driver door unlock relay
  4. Rear wiper relay
  5. Ignition "RUN" relay
  6. Ignition "RUN/ACCESSORY DELAY" relay

The JB unit cannot be repaired and is only serviced as an assembly. If any internal circuit or the JB housing is inoperative or damaged, the entire JB unit must be replaced, (Refer to 08 - Electrical/Power Distribution/JUNCTION BLOCK - Removal) for the appropriate procedure.