Amedee
Amedee, Jeep Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport: 4.0L..I am having a hard start issue

Customer Question

Greetings,

2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport, 4.0L

I am having a hard start issue. At first it was occasional (once every 10-20 starts) now, its almost all the time. It was setting the evap. code (loose gas cap?). I started squeezing the cap as i tightened to get more on it. Code doesn't set anymore. When it will not start, I push the gas peddle down a little and it will start but not idle. After a few minutes of two-footing it, it will idle.

Now for my "tail between the legs" story.

I was frantically looking for a solution to this problem and I came across something that mentioned a possible bad check valve in the fuel pump. So I installed an inline check valve... before I realized that this was a returnless fuel system. Now fuel is leaking from whatever the bulb looking thing is on the fuel rail (located between injector 3 and 4).

Did I ruin anything by installing the check valve?

How do I go about solving the hard start?

Thanks,

Kris
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Amedee replied 4 years ago.
Greetings! You could have a bad fuel pump. I would rec to check fuel pressure. Fuel injected cars are very fuel pressure sensitive. Fuel pressure is very important and must be within specifications! But if the pressure is low, it does not mean the pump is bad. A plugged fuel filter, a pinched line, and low voltage at the pump can contribute to low fuel pressure. All three must be check before replacing the pump! You can get a fuel pressure gauge at a local auto parts store for cheap. =
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
What about the fuel leak? What about the fact that I put a check valve on a system that I wasn't supposed to?
Expert:  Amedee replied 4 years ago.

Well obviously that should not be there. I would simply recommend to take it out.

As far as the hard start goes, we need to see if in fact we have low fuel pressure when the engine is hard starting. THe best was to do this is with a fuel pressure gauge.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I wouldn't think it was a pressure issue. Once it gets started, it runs great, plenty of power. Can you tell me what the thing is that the fuel is leaking out of? And why It would be leaking there?

I'll try and track down a pressure guage in the meantime...
Expert:  Amedee replied 4 years ago.
Are you talking about the fuel pressure regulator?
Expert:  Amedee replied 4 years ago.

Or maybe the fuel damper?

Expert:  Amedee replied 4 years ago.
graphic
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It's the damper
Expert:  Amedee replied 4 years ago.
If the damper is leaking fuel it will need to be replaced. If it is one with the fuel rail, the fuel rail will need to be replaced.
Expert:  Amedee replied 4 years ago.
Did you have any further questions?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
what should the fuel pressure be at the rail? I'm trying to track down a rail now... need to replace before i can test the pressure...
Expert:  Amedee replied 4 years ago.
It should be at about 50 psi (give or take a few psi).