Mark
Mark, 22 Year Factory trained technician
Experience:  Jeep factory training........25 years in the industry.

2000 Jeep Cherokee sport: wouldnt start..starter..ran fine..the relay

Customer Question

My 2000 Jeep Cherokee sport wouldn't start - starter appeared to be the issue. Replaced the starter ran fine for 3 days. Wouldn't start yesterday appeared the relay wasn't in securely - it started. Suggested that the starter relay be replaced. Started fine today - went to the auto parts store - they didn't have one, but the jeep started 3 times - drove home turned it off - tried to start it - won't start. Any ideas. Jeep has new battery, new alternator and new starter.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  ricardo hohl replied 4 years ago.
it looks like ypu have a intergrated module problem, is the relay control box, do you have a test light and can you locate the relay in the relay band let me know when ready to test the box output voltage.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I don't have a test light but my son may have one. It will probably be tomorrow before I can get him to come over. Will you be available later?
yes i will.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you - I will see if I can contact my son.
ok.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
My son is on the way to my house now. Are you available to lead us through the steps on what is to be done?
yes. just let me know .
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

He checked battery voltage at Starter Relay and there's full battery voltage

ok can you locate the starter relay, located at the relay box next to the battery.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes, he removed the starter relay and tested female connections and there is battery voltage
ok can you turn the key to cranking and hold it there while he checks voltage at the relay conector, tell me how many powers are there at the relay conector with the relay out
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

ok will do

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

He ran into a problem with his tester. It's working right now. They're in process of checking it again. He was getting some bad readings.

ok.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

He got it started. He thinks it's the battery. The battery voltage dropped significantly after trying to start vehicle. We are going to load test the battery - He is taking the battery in to have it load tested. If it doesn't test right we'll get a new battery and try again. Will check back to let you know the status.

ok, just let me know.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you!
you welcome!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Had the battery load tested. The battery itself is okay - the problem is the service center when I had the battery replaced - put in the wrong size battery for the vehicle. Replacing the battery with the right one - and we should be good to go.

ok just hang on until the battery is install and let me know if ok.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
He's back with it now - will know shortly
just let me know if ok.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
He got the new battery, but it isn't fully charged so he has hooked it up to have it fully charged before he starts the vehicle

do you have jumper cables, can you conect them and buss up the battery and try, that should work.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No don't have any - have it hooked up to the battery charger
ok ,i have to go some were i will be back in 1 hour.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok - will check back in later
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The battery is fully charged and the jeep started immmediately. The battery seems to be the problem.
ok verry good,. if you need me in the future i will be here.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you

thank you., just glad to help.