Anthony
Anthony, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Automobile Technician with over 20 years exp. in this field.
15218643

93 Grand Cherokee: vtss security system..modules..glove box..restart

Customer Question

I have a 93 Grand Cherokee. The VTSS security system won't shut off. I used the online instreuctions ffrom wiki answers to remove the VTSS modules behind the glove box but the damn thing shut down after 18 miles of driving and will not restart. HELP !!!
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Anthony replied 7 years ago.

Hello! Welcome to justanswer!

You may need to get a computer for a 93 cherokee that is for one without an alarm.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I ordered a new computer if that fixes the problem I'll accept your reply
Expert:  Anthony replied 7 years ago.
Sounds good and make sure the new computer does not have the security function enabled.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I talked to an outfit off of Ebay motors in fla called computer exchange. They said that they can send me one with no VTSS function. I need to give them the CPU part number an d mileage before they can ship it BTW where is the CPU located. I think I remember it being under the air cleaner box but i didn't see it when I looked under the hood a couple of minutes ago. It's broke down (VTSS locked) at a convenience store a couple of miles from my house and I'm waiting on the tow truck to arrive to bring it back home. WHY oh WHY does jeep do this to it's customers? I have seen LOTS of cherokees with this problem. WHen I see a Cherokee in a parking lot with it's light flashing and horn honking and a perplexed person looking at it scratching their head and feeling mortified I know exactly what is going on (and it's not the car being stolen!) This has really turned me against buying another jeep product. IMHO this should have been a recall item.
Expert:  Anthony replied 7 years ago.
I understand. I hope it all works out after you get the security function removed. the computer is right next to the aircleaner.

Edited by Anthony on 10/16/2009 at 8:25 PM EST