brownjeff
brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  17 years experience, ASE certified, dealership certified, Service Manager for 15 years,
11021861

I took my 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee to the AAA Auto Care Center

Customer Question

I took my 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee to the AAA Auto Care Center this morning for an oil change. The check engine light was on, so I wanted them to check the code. The guy called me and told me that it was the electronic shifter module and that it would be 655 for the part and 189 for labor. Is this a frequent problem for Jeeps? This morning and a couple times in the past, my check engine light has come on and all of the gears lit up. I resolved the problem by shifting down and then back up. I would rather not pay for a part that needs to have the software upgraded. Any advice?
Category: Jeep
Expert:  brownjeff replied 5 years ago.

This is a common problem and the fix is to replace the shifter module.

If the car has less than 36,000 miles on it then it will be covered under warranty.

If more than 36,000 miles then call Chrysler and complain and ask for help paying for it as it is a common problem and most times they will help you.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks Jeff...is this a DIY easy fix? Do I have to get the part from Chrysler or can I get it through an OEM source?
Expert:  brownjeff replied 5 years ago.

The part will need to come from the dealer, but is a DIY fix. I will attach some information to help.

REMOVAL

1. Remove any necessary console parts for access to shift lever assembly and shifter cables.
2. If necessary, remove the bolts holding the shield, covering the gearshift and park lock cables, to the shifter assembly and remove the shield.
3. Shift transmission into PARK.
4. Disconnect the transmission shift cable (3) at shift lever (1).
5. Remove the shift cable retainer (4) from the notch in the shifter assembly.
6. Verify the key is in the LOCK position and disconnect the park lock cable (5) from the shifter mechanism cam and the notch in the shifter assembly.

7. Disengage all wiring connectors (2, 3) from the shifter assembly (1).

8. Remove all bolts (2) holding the shifter assembly (1) to the floor pan.
9. Remove the shifter assembly (1) from the vehicle.

INSTALLATION

1. Install shifter assembly (1) in position on the floor pan.
2. Install the bolts (2) to hold the shifter assembly (1) onto the floor pan. Tighten bolts to 12 Nm (105 in.lbs.) .

3. Place the floor shifter lever in PARK position.
4. Loosen the adjustment nut (2) on the shifter assembly (1).
5. Install the gearshift cable (3) to the shift lever pin.
6. Install the park lock cable (5) to the shift mechanism cam and the notch in the shifter assembly.
7. Verify that the key is in the LOCK position and remains there until the cable is fully adjusted.
8. Verify that the park lock cable adjustment tab is pulled upward to the unlocked position.

9. Install the wiring harness connectors (3) to the shifter assembly (1).
10. Verify that the shift lever is in the PARK position.
11. Tighten the adjustment screw to 30 Nm (265 in.lbs.) .
12. Verify that the key in the LOCK position and the shifter is in PARK.
13. Push downward on the park lock cable adjustment tab to lock the adjustment.
14. Verify correct shifter, park lock, and BTSI operation.
15. If necessary, install the shield, covering the gearshift and park lock cables, to the shifter assembly and install the bolts to hold the shield to the shifter assembly.
16. Install any console parts removed for access to shift lever assembly and shift cables.

brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 17 years experience, ASE certified, dealership certified, Service Manager for 15 years,