rich, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  19+ years at jeep dealer

2000 jeep cherokee classic: dash lights..headlights..hood..instrument

Customer Question

I have a 2000 jeep cherokee classic, No dash lights. All other lights work,sun visor mirrors,dome,park,turn,stop,headlights,under the hood,flashers. It keeps blowing fuse #6 (instrument / switches ilumination) . I have replaced the head light switch, still blows fuse,removed the instrument cluster,still blows fuse,disconnected wires at trailer hitch,still blows fuse. IT ONLY BLOWS THE FUSE WHEN YOU PULL THE HEADLIGHT SWITCH TO ON POSITION
Category: Jeep
Expert:  rich replied 7 years ago.
do you have an aftermarket radio?i have seen several of these cause problems
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I will accept ,the probem is with the antenna, I unplugged the radio and disconneted the antenna ,replaced the fuse and the dash lights came on. I started pluging things in one at a time ,first the power ,then the fuse,and when I plugged in the antenna it shorted ,like it was grounded and blew the fuse. So how can I fix that . Thanks so much for your help.
Expert:  rich replied 7 years ago.
the antenna is grounded--you probably have a short inside your radio if you have another radio try plugging it in and see what happens