Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Jeep Certified Master Tech

1992 jeep wrangler: gears when engine is off..clutch

1992 jeep wrangler will not go into gear while engine is running. Will go through gears when engine is off. will not start while in gear with clutch depressed. Drove fine yesterday, no indications of clutch trouble before now.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Chris replied 7 years ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer Jeep. There is a problem with your clutch. It is not releasing and that is why you cannot shift into a gear with the engine running. Either something has broken in the clutch such as a pressure plate, or release fork, or it may be a hydraulic problem with the clutch master or slave cylinder. It may even be a seized pilot bearing in the end of the crank shaft. In either case, the trans will need to be pulled and the clutch system inspected and repaired/replaced.

Wish I had a quick fix for you but you will need to disassemble the clutch to check this out. If you have a fair amount of miles on the Wrangler, then plan on redoing the whole clutch system (disc,pressure plate,throw out bearing, and flywheel resurfacing)

Hope this information helps, and let me know if you need more assistance with this.