sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep Master Certified, ASE Master and Advanced Certified, Trans and Hybrid Specialist
9825021

How do I remove the blower motor in a 2001 jeep cherokee?

Customer Question

how do I remove the blower motor in a 2001 jeep cherokee?
Category: Jeep
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 7 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

You have a Cherokee, not a Grand Cherokee?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
right

Ok great. I wanted to make sure, some people refer to the Grand Cherokee and they are completely different vehicles.

The blower motor on the Cherokee is accessed from the engine compartment. Open the hood and look at the firewall on the far right side of the compartment and you'll see it.

graphic

The motor is mounted directly behind the a/c accumulator. To remove the motor you first have to reposition the accumulator. It's held down with a band clamp. You have to remove this clamp, recover the refrigerant from the a/c system, and remove the accumuator from the evaporator tube where it goes through the firewall. It will have a standard spring lock a/c quick connect fitting. Once it's off the evaporator you can swing it out of the way, unplug the blower motor and remove the screws holding it in, and remove the motor.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
how do i pay?

You pay the expert for their time when you hit the accept button. You did accept, and I thank you!

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
a tech checked out the ac system of my cherokee today. All fuses are good, but there is no power at the ac/heater on off switch. What do they check next?

The switch won't have any power, it controls ground through the blower motor resistor and then to the motor. I take it your blower motor doesn't work at all? Do you have the Jeep with you and a test light or voltmeter to do some testing?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
yes the tech checked everything. no power any place.
The blower motor is powered by the blower motor relay. You won't see any power at the control head on the dash, this switches ground. Fuse 6 in the power distribution center under the hood and fuse 25 in the fuse box inside are both needed for the relay to turn on. Have them check for power on the dark green wire directly at the blower motor itself with the key on, you won't see any power inside. I would bet that the motor does have power from the relay and it doesn't have any ground. The ground comes from the control head in the dash and goes through the resistor. This is what steps down the available current to the motor to give you the different speeds. It's mounted behind the glovebox area on the heater box. This is the most likely cause for the motor not working. I would make sure they are checking for power directly at the blower motor, not the switch inside. If there actually is a power feed problem on the dark green wire we'll sort it out.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX pass this on to the tech.

Let me know if you need any more help!