JaybirdTech, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  12 years as an automotive technician

2003 Jeep Liberty: P0455 and P0442 on the odometer..engine lite..Jeep.

My 2003 Jeep Liberty has codes P0455 and P0442 on the odometer. What does these codes indicate? The engine lite is always on in the Jeep. I am so used to seeing it there I just ignore it now. Im really aggrivated by this and have had it to the dealer who just went out of business more than half dozen times over that engine lite being lit up. Think I will just put some tape over it.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  JaybirdTech replied 7 years ago.

The codes you have are evaporative emission codes. Code P0455 indicates a large evap leak and code P0442 means that a small leak is detected. These codes do not usually cause any problems, but should be looked at. The first thing I would check is to make sure your gas cap is tight and has a good seal. Make sure that you don't fill your gas tank with the car running as well. Filling your gas tank while the car is running will cause these codes too. I would also check for any broken or cracked vapor lines.