Chris
Chris, Shop Foreman
Experience:  Jeep and ASE Certified Master Tech

2001 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE LIMITED: DIAGRAM..HOW TO REPLACE MY RADIATOR

Customer Question

CAN I GET A DIAGRAM ON HOW TO REPLACE MY RADIATOR. 2001 JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE LIMITED w/4.7 V8
Category: Jeep
Expert:  Chris replied 4 years ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer Jeep. Here is the procedures and diagrams on how to replace the radiator in your Grand Cherokee.

Hope this information is helpful, and let me know if you need more assistance with this.

Chris

REMOVAL Front Fascia

1. Remove fascia, refer to (Refer to 13 - FRAMES & BUMPERS/BUMPERS/FRONT FASCIA - REMOVAL).
  2. Disengage retainers attaching grille insert to grille/fascia.
  3. Separate grille insert from grille/fascia (GRILLE INSERT).

REMOVAL

1. Raise and support vehicle.
  2. Turn front wheels to access rivets and remove plastic rivets attaching fascia to wheel liner.
  3. Remove bolts attaching fascia to fender (Front Fascia).
  4. Remove plastic push pin fasteners attaching front fascia to lower radiator crossmember splash shield (Front Fascia).
  5. Disengage fog lamp connectors, if equipped.
  6. Remove screws attaching fascia/grille to upper radiator crossmember (Front Fascia).
  7. Slide fascia forward to separate from vehicle.

1 - BODY
2 - FASCIA

REMOVAL - 4.7L Radiator

WARNING: DO NOT REMOVE THE CYLINDER BLOCK DRAIN PLUGS OR LOOSEN THE RADIATOR DRAINCOCK WITH THE SYSTEM HOT AND UNDER PRESSURE. SERIOUS BURNS FROM COOLANT CAN OCCUR. REFER TO COOLING SYSTEM DRAINING.

Do not waste reusable coolant. If the solution is clean, drain the coolant into a clean container for reuse.

WARNING: CONSTANT TENSION HOSE CLAMPS ARE USED ON MOST COOLING SYSTEM HOSES. WHEN REMOVING OR INSTALLING, USE ONLY TOOLS DESIGNED FOR SERVICING THIS TYPE OF CLAMP, SUCH AS SPECIAL CLAMP TOOL (NUMBER 6094) (Hose Clamp Tool - Typical). ALWAYS WEAR SAFETY GLASSES WHEN SERVICING CONSTANT TENSION CLAMPS.

CAUTION: A number or letter is stamped into the tongue of constant tension clamps (Clamp Number/Letter Location - Typical). If replacement is necessary, use only an original equipment clamp with matching number or letter.

CAUTION: When removing the radiator or A/C condenser for any reason, note the location of all radiator-to-body and radiator-to-A/C condenser rubber air seals (RADIATOR). These are used at the top, bottom and sides of the radiator and A/C condenser. To prevent overheating, these seals must be installed to their original positions.

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable at battery.
  2. Drain coolant from radiator (Refer to 7 - COOLING - STANDARD PROCEDURE) .
  3. Remove the front grill (Refer to 23 - BODY/EXTERIOR/GRILLE - REMOVAL).
  4. Remove two radiator mounting bolts.
  5. Disconnect both transmission cooler lines from radiator.
  6. Disconnect electrical connector for the fan control solenoid.
  7. Disconnect the power steering cooler line from cooler and filter.
  8. Disconnect the radiator upper and lower hoses.
  9. Disconnect the overflow hose from radiator.
  10. Remove the air inlet duct at the grill.
  11. The lower part of radiator is equipped with two alignment dowel pins (Radiator Alignment Dowels - Typical). They are located on the bottom of radiator tank and fit into rubber grommets. These rubber grommets are pressed into the radiator lower crossmember.

WARNING: THE AIR CONDITIONING SYSTEM (IF EQUIPPED) IS UNDER A CONSTANT PRESSURE EVEN WITH THE ENGINE OFF. REFER TO REFRIGERANT WARNINGS IN, HEATING AND AIR CONDITIONING BEFORE HANDLING ANY AIR CONDITIONING COMPONENT.

NOTE: The radiator and radiator cooling fan can be removed as an assembly. It is not necessary to remove the cooling fan before removing or installing the radiator.

12. Disconnect the two high pressure fluid lines at the hydraulic fan drive.
  13. Disconnect the low pressure return hose at the hydraulic fan drive.
  14. Gently lift up and remove radiator from vehicle. Be careful not to scrape the radiator fins against any other component. Also be careful not to disturb the air conditioning condenser (if equipped).

INSTALLATION - 4.7L

CAUTION: Before installing the radiator or A/C condenser, be sure the radiator-to-body and radiator-to-A/C condenser rubber air seals (RADIATOR) are properly fastened to their original positions. These are used at the top, bottom and sides of the radiator and A/C condenser. To prevent overheating, these seals must be installed to their original positions.

1. Equipped with air conditioning: Gently lower the radiator and fan shroud into the vehicle. Guide the two radiator alignment dowels through the holes in the rubber air seals first and then through the A/C support brackets (Radiator Alignment Dowels - Typical). Continue to guide the alignment dowels into the rubber grommets located in lower radiator crossmember. The holes in the L-shaped brackets (located on bottom of A/C condenser) must be positioned between bottom of rubber air seals and top of rubber grommets.
  2. Connect the radiator upper and lower hoses and hose clamps to radiator.

CAUTION: The tangs on the hose clamps must be positioned straight down.

3. Install coolant reserve/overflow tank hose at radiator.
  4. Connect both transmission cooler lines at the radiator.
  5. Install both radiator mounting bolts.
  6. Install air inlet duct at grill.
  7. Attach electric connector for hydraulic fan control solenoid.
  8. Install the grill (Refer to 23 - BODY/EXTERIOR/GRILLE - INSTALLATION).
  9. Connect the two high pressure lines to the hydraulic fan drive. Tighten ½ in. pressure line fitting to 49 N·m (36 ft. lbs.). and the 3/8 in. pressure line fitting to 29 N·m (21.5 ft. lbs.).
  10. Connect the low pressure hose to the hydraulic fan drive. Position the spring clamp.
  11. Connect the power steering filter hoses to the filter. Install new hose clamps.
  12. Rotate the fan blades (by hand) and check for interference at fan shroud.
  13. Refill cooling system (Refer to 7 - COOLING - STANDARD PROCEDURE).
  14. Refill the power steering reservoir and bleed air from system (Refer to 19 - STEERING/PUMP - STANDARD PROCEDURE).
  15. Connect battery cable at battery.
  16. Start and warm engine. Check for leaks
  17. .

1 - BODY
2 - FASCIA

graphic