Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master...30+ years...Shop owner..engine builder..collision structural repair

1996 Jeep Cherokee the hood release cable broke. How do I open

1996 Jeep Cherokee the hood release cable broke. How do I open the hood?

Hello and welcome to Just, Super mechanic here. About your vehicle.

The best way to open the hood is to have someone push down on it while you are pulling the cable. If need be then you will have to lay down under the front of the vehicle and reach up in there with a screwdriver and activate the latch, where the cable goes.

The only other way would be to get in there with a small wrench, (10mm) and undolt the latch itself. If you can access any part of the cable from under the hood, in the grill area, you can cut the outer housing and strip it to where you can grab the cable itself and pull on it, (while someone pushes down on the hood)