brownjeff
brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  17 years experience, ASE certified, dealership certified, Service Manager for 15 years,
11021861

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee: the dashboard bulbs..instrument panel

I have a 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee and the dashboard bulbs behind the instrument panel have burned out - with the exception of the left side where I can still see the gas gauge.
Is it necessary to pull the dashboard to replace the bulbs?

Could it in any way be fuse related? How does one pull the dashboard if necessary? Thanks, Joyce
Category: Jeep
Expert:  brownjeff replied 4 years ago.

You would need to remove the cluster to replace the bulbs.

BEZEL

1. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable.
  2. Place the tilt steering wheel in its fully lowered position.

Fig. 1

1. Using a trim stick C-4755 or equivalent, gently pry each of the four corners of the cluster bezel away from the instrument panel far enough to disengage the four snap clips from their receptacles (Fig. 1).
  2. Being certain not to scratch the instrument cluster lens with the two snap clips on the lower edge of the cluster bezel, roll the top of the cluster bezel rearward over the top of the steering column.
  3. If equipped, reach behind the cluster bezel to access and disconnect the instrument panel wire harness connector for the headlamp leveling switch from the switch connector receptacle.
  4. Remove the cluster bezel from the instrument panel.

INSTALLATION

WARNING: ON VEHICLES EQUIPPED WITH AIR-BAGS, DISABLE THE AIRBAG SYSTEM BEFORE ATTEMPTING ANY STEERING WHEEL, STEERING COLUMN, OR INSTRUMENT PANEL COMPONENT DIAGNOSIS OR SERVICE. DISCONNECT AND ISOLATE THE BATTERY NEGATIVE (GROUND) CABLE, THEN WAIT TWO MINUTES FOR THE AIRBAG SYSTEM CAPACITOR TO DISCHARGE BEFORE PERFORMING FURTHER DIAGNOSIS OR SERVICE. THIS IS THE ONLY SURE WAY TO DISABLE THE AIRBAG SYSTEM. FAILURE TO TAKE THE PROPER PRECAUTIONS COULD RESULT IN ACCIDENTAL AIR-BAG DEPLOYMENT AND POSSIBLE PERSONAL INJURY.

Fig. 1

1. Position the cluster bezel onto the instrument panel (Fig. 1).
  2. If equipped, reach behind the cluster bezel to access and reconnect the instrument panel wire harness connector for the headlamp leveling switch to the switch connector receptacle.
  3. Being certain not to scratch the instrument cluster lens with the two snap clips on the lower edge of the cluster bezel, slide the lower edge of the cluster bezel forward and down over the top of the steering column to position it onto the instrument panel.
  4. Align the two snap clips on the lower edge of the cluster bezel with their receptacles in the instrument panel.
  5. Press firmly on the cluster bezel over each of the lower snap clip locations until each of the snap clips is fully engaged in its receptacle.
  6. Align the two receptacles on the upper edge of the cluster bezel with the snap clips on the instrument panel.
  7. Press firmly on the cluster bezel over each of the upper snap clip locations until each of the snap clips is fully engaged in its receptacle.
  8. Connect the battery negative cable.

REMOVAL

2. Remove the cluster bezel from the instrument panel.
  3. Remove the two screws that secure the upper mounting tabs of the instrument cluster to the underside of the instrument cluster hood formation of the instrument panel top pad.
  4. Remove the two screws that secure the lower mounting tabs of the instrument cluster to the instrument panel structural duct.

Fig. 4 Instrument Cluster Remove/Install

1. Pull the upper mounting tabs of the instrument cluster downward, then pull the instrument cluster rearward far enough to access the instrument panel wire harness connector for the instrument cluster.
  2. Disconnect the instrument panel wire harness connector for the instrument cluster from the connector receptacle on the back of the instrument cluster housing.
  3. Remove the instrument cluster from the instrument panel.

INSTALLATION

1. Position the instrument cluster to the instrument panel.

Fig, 8 Instrument Cluster Remove/Install

1. Reconnect the instrument panel wire harness connector for the instrument cluster to the connector receptacle on the back of the instrument cluster housing.
  2. Position the lower mounting tabs of the instrument cluster to the mounting holes on the instrument panel structural duct, then tilt the top of the instrument cluster forward until the upper mounting tabs are positioned to the mounting holes on the underside of the instrument cluster hood formation of the instrument panel top pad.
  3. Install and tighten the two screws that secure the upper mounting tabs of the instrument cluster to the underside of the instrument cluster hood formation of the instrument panel top pad. Tighten the screws to 2.2 Nm (20 in. lbs.) .
  4. Install and tighten the two screws that secure the lower mounting tabs of the instrument cluster to the instrument panel structural duct. Tighten the screws to 2.2 Nm (20 in. lbs.) .
  5. Reinstall the cluster bezel onto the instrument panel.
  6. Reconnect the battery negative cable.

BULB

DISASSEMBLY

2. Remove the instrument cluster from the instrument panel.

Fig. 5 Cluster Bulb Locations - Typical

1. Turn the bulb holder counterclockwise about 60 degrees on the cluster electronic circuit board.
  2. Pull the bulb and bulb holder straight back to remove it from the bulb mounting hole in the cluster electronic circuit board.

ASSEMBLY

1. Insert the bulb and bulb holder straight into the correct bulb mounting hole in the cluster electronic circuit board.
  2. With the bulb holder fully seated against the cluster electronic circuit board, turn the bulb holder clockwise about 60 degrees to lock it into place.
  3. Reinstall the instrument cluster onto the instrument panel.
  4. Reconnect the battery negative cable.

brownjeff, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 17 years experience, ASE certified, dealership certified, Service Manager for 15 years,