quickcar
quickcar, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  10+years in various jeep dealerships

I have a 2008 Jeep Wrangler X - key fob stopped working and

Customer Question

I have a 2008 Jeep Wrangler X - key fob stopped working and car won't start - lights, radio, AC all come on - but when cranking engine I get nothing - no click, no crank, nadda - any thoughts??
Category: Jeep
Expert:  marcpod replied 4 years ago.
Welcome to just answer. It could be an ignition switch, starter relay. But I would not touch or take anything apart. Call the dealer in the morning and have them take a look at it the vehicle is still under warranty is that correct.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes - still under warranty - seems to be something with the alarm system - key fob won't work - SXXXXX XXXXXght stays on when the key is in the ignition...any way to re-set the jey fob?
Expert:  marcpod replied 4 years ago.

DESCRIPTION

The ASD (Automatic Shutdown Relay) is located in the TPIM (Totally Integrated Power Module).

Component ID: 171
Component : RELAY-AUTO SHUT DOWN

Connector:

Name :
Color :
RELAY-AUTO SHUT DOWN
# XXXXX pins : 0

30INTERNALB(+)
85INTERNALB(+)
86K51 20BR/WTASD RELAY CONTROL
87INTERNALASD RELAY OUTPUT
87A--

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
could you please elaborate on what to do with this?
Expert:  quickcar replied 4 years ago.
hello, the first thing youll need to do is disconnect the negative battery terminal for about 1 minute. then reconnect if it starts working after reconnecting you will need to take it to the dealer and tell them to perform the tsb for replaceing the wireless control module.
quickcar, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 10+years in various jeep dealerships
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
tow truck is on the way - thanks
Expert:  quickcar replied 4 years ago.

there is an issue with the wireless control modules on some newer chrylser dodge and jeeps that will cause the wcm to electrically lock up from an electrostatic discharge through the key. the tsb states that replacement of the wcm is required to repair.

Expert:  quickcar replied 4 years ago.

no problem i have fixed several of these and the telltale sign is both not starting and the keyless entry not working.

glad i could help.