quickcar
quickcar, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  10+years in various jeep dealerships
17227360

1996 jeep cherokee: serpentine belt..an inline six cylinder, 4.0 liter

Customer Question

i am replacing my serpentine belt on my 1996 jeep cherokee, it is an inline six cylinder, 4.0 liter, i do not understand the manual, because what they explain is not what i have in my car, could you walk me step by step through this?
Category: Jeep
Expert:  quickcar replied 7 years ago.

does your cherokee have a/c ?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
yes it does as well as power steering
Expert:  quickcar replied 7 years ago.
is it a left hand drive or right?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
i don't understand
Expert:  quickcar replied 7 years ago.
which side is the steering wheel on? when you are sitting in the drivers seat facing forward are you on the left side or the right side of the jeep?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
i am on the left side like most american made cars
Expert:  quickcar replied 7 years ago.

ok i had to ask as there is some customers on here from other countries and it makes a difference.

the serptine belt is removed by loosening the power steering pump bolts and then pushing the pump in to remove the tension off the belt. then remove the belt.

here is a routing diagram.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
which bolts do i loosen on the power steering pump and also, how many bolts do i need to loosen
Expert:  quickcar replied 7 years ago.

ok i looked at it wrong below is a picture the pulley in the picture is where the tension is released, loosen the bolt that goes through the center of the pulley then on the backside of it will be a bolt that as you turn releases the tension.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
if u r still talking about the power steering pulley there is no bolt that goes through the center of the pulley, there is only a nut that goes through the center of the idler pulley, and on the power steering pulley, there is three long bolts that hold the power steering pump in, please be much more specific, in my jeep there is little room to see and i need to know exactly what you are referring to
Expert:  quickcar replied 7 years ago.
ok loosen that nut then on the idler pulley. in behind the idler pulley will be a bolt that goes through the bracket that when you turn it will slide the idler pulley in and out to remove the tension on the belt. youll most likely have to get to it from underneath.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
what do u mean by in and out, and so then do i need to do anything the power steering pulley or pump
Expert:  quickcar replied 7 years ago.

the pulley will physically move in or out in the direction of which will remove or add tension to the belt. simply by you turning the bolt that is on the backside of the pulley.

are you sure that you can perform this job safely?

no you dont need to touch the power steering pump.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
yes i am sure that i can , but honestly, i have the owner's manual which has shown me something completely different, i looked online at another website where someone has said to do something else, and now you have explained something differnet, also the diagram in the manual is different from the manual that you have shown

and i looked at the back of the idler pulley and there is threads that come out of it so it is basically an allthread that is connected to a nut on the front side of the idler pulley but no bolt head, also it is attached to a large bracket that has a long bolt that goes through that as well as through another side where the power steering pump is located on as well
Expert:  quickcar replied 7 years ago.

the information i have given you is direct from the factory servive manual.

the nut on the front of the pulley needs loosened to allow the pulley to move in a slot in the mounting bracket. the all thread piece you mentioned that has a piece on it on the backside of the bracket will have the long bolt going through it that long bolt is what is used to adjust the tension on the belt. turn the bolt counterclockwise to loosen the belt clockwise to tighten the belt.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
thank you i really do appreciate it. =)
Expert:  quickcar replied 7 years ago.
no problem if you need anything else let me know.