vipertech, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Jeep factory certified technican

how to change a serpentine belt on a 1998 Jeep cherokee

how to change a serpentine belt on a 1998 Jeep cherokee?
Category: Jeep
Expert:  vipertech replied 7 years ago.
Good evening, in order to help you further I need to know what size engine it has......4 cylinder or 6 cylinder and make sure there is no confusion, this is a Cherokee and not a Grand Cherokee correct? Thanks
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
it has a 4.0 -6 cylinder Cherokee
Expert:  vipertech replied 7 years ago.

Here is the information you requested:

Belt tension is adjusted at the power steering pump bracket and idler pulley assembly.

1. Disconnect negative battery cable from battery.
  2. Loosen idler pulley bolt at the power steering bracket

1. Loosen adjusting bolt until belt can be removed from pulleys.
  2. Remove belt.

1. Check condition of all pulleys

CAUTION: When installing the serpentine accessory drive belt, the belt MUST be routed correctly. If not, the engine may overheat due to the water pump rotating in the wrong direction.

2. Install new belt.
  3. Using serpentine belt tension gauge, tighten adjusting bolt until belt reaches proper tension. Refer to Belt Tension at the rear of this section for proper belt tension.
  4. After belt is tensioned correctly, tighten idler pulley bolt to 47 N·m (35 ft. lbs.)
  5. After idler pulley has been tightened into position, recheck belt tension. Adjust if necessary.

If this answers your question then please press "ACCEPT "so that I may be paid for the time spent helping you. If you need more help then please let me know. Thanks

Expert:  vipertech replied 7 years ago.

I'm doing a follow up and noticed that you havent replied back or ACCEPT the answer to your question yet. Please reply back if you need additional help or press ACCEPT so that the question may be closed out. Keep in mind that the experts on this site are compensated for their time spent helping customers once ACCEPT is selected. Thanks again for using Just Answer.