David Dill
David Dill, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  19 years as Technician, 14 years with Chrysler Group LLC

1993 Jeep Cherokee: security battery wouldnt run

Customer Question

I have a 1993 Jeep Cherokee. The security system will not turn off. I had to pull fuses to get the lights to stop so that my battery wouldn't run down.
How can I disengage the system? My keyless entry is broken of course and the doors or liftgate don't stop it.
Please tell me how to remove the VTSS module and anything else I need to get the security system disengaged.
Category: Jeep
Expert:  David Dill replied 7 years ago.
Unfortunately there is no disabling the system without replacing components. It would be less expensive to get a new RKE and program it to work with the vehicle. The BCM and the Theft module talk to each other so without replacing both of them you can't fool the system. One possibility would be to remove the door panel for either the liftgate or the driver door, find the wiring harness for the arm/disarm switch, unplug it and momentarily short the 2 wires together. This would simulate the switch being turned and shutting off the alarm. Here is a picture with wire colors: