rich
rich, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  19+ years at jeep dealer
18317595

I have a jeep Commander 2006 with AC, the blower fan started

Customer Question

I have a jeep Commander 2006 with AC, the blower fan started making a bad racket, started putting out a burning plastic smell and stopped turning all together. How hard is it to replace the blower motor on a Jeep Commander.
Do you know of any online detail instructions on how to do it?

Thanks,
Glen
Category: Jeep
Expert:  rich replied 5 years ago.

here are the instructions for removal from the chrysler service manual

REMOVAL

WARNING: Disable the airbag system before attempting any steering wheel, steering column or instrument panel component diagnosis or service. Disconnect and isolate the negative battery (ground) cable, then wait two minutes for the airbag system capacitor to discharge before performing further diagnosis or service. This is the only sure way to disable the airbag system. Failure to follow these instructions may result in accidental airbag deployment and possible serious or fatal injury.

NOTE: LHD model shown. RHD model similar.
1.Disconnect and isolate the negative battery cable.
2.Remove the instrument panel silencer from the passenger side of the instrument panel.
3.Remove the glove box from the instrument panel (Refer to 23 - Body/Instrument Panel/GLOVE BOX, Instrument Panel - Removal) .
4.Disconnect the blower motor wire harness connector (1) from the blower motor power module or resistor (2), depending on how equipped.
5.Remove the three screws (3) that secure the blower motor (4) to the HVAC housing (5).
6.Remove the blower motor from the HVAC housing.

if you need more let me know
rich, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 19+ years at jeep dealer
Expert:  rich replied 5 years ago.

here are the instuction to remove the glove box door also

REMOVAL

1.Separate the glove box damper rod (1) from the clove box by sliding the rod towards the rear of the vehicle to release it from the bin.

2.Open the glove box and carefully use fingers to press down glove box open stops at the top of the bin, downward to allow the glove box to rotate toward the carpet.
3.Rotate the box down and release the door hinges (2) at the bottom and remove the glove box.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Rich,

So it seems easy, if you could clear up just a couple of things for me?
  • What is the instrument panel silencer and how is it attached?
  • How do you release the glove box door hinges?
Thanks,
Glen
Expert:  rich replied 5 years ago.
the silencer is the part under the dash -from dash to firewall--not all have it-it will either be push pins or small screws--as far as the glove box-when you open it slide the dampner to release it then push in on the sides near the dash and lower it--when it is hanging down it will come off
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks
Expert:  rich replied 5 years ago.
no problem let me know if you need anything else--